HDhomerun won't record one channel

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
epayson85

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDhomerun won't record one channel

Post by epayson85 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Has anyone ever seen this before?

I made a setup for my father a couple years ago and besides the couple hiccups here and there its worked flawless for him. Its just a couple homeruns using his antenna. It seems ever since microsoft changed their guide source its been all messed up haha. However I eventually got the OTA guide to show up and its been good. Now the issue I am trying to fix is one of his channels will not record. You can select the channel and watch it live just fine. The guide data matches it just fine. However the second you hit record it says "no signal". If you try to schedule a recording, same thing, no signal. All the other channels work fine. He lives a couple hours from me so I can't say I have dug into it too much. When I get a chance I am going to connect remotely and see what information I can get from the hdhomerun apps while the channel is tuned, but I was hoping someone on here has maybe seen this before.

epayson85

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by epayson85 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Ok well I figured it out... well at least I fixed it and if anyone else ever runs into this perhaps it will help them. I have no idea why it did it, but it makes some sense to me. Trying to remote connect and view channels is a pain btw haha. I couldn't view the channel live but I could hit record so I told wmc to record on that channel at the current time. Then I minimized wmc and opened the hdhomerun config app to see what the tuner was doing. Interestingly enough it was trying to record from a different station. I then used the hdhomerun setup app to tune to the correct station and see what the correct channel # and frequency was. Then I went back into wmc, added a channel manually using that information, then used the guide tool to apply the correct guide information to it. Bingo. It worked. Now both live tv and recording on that station is working.

What I find odd is why would wmc tune to it correctly during live tv and not correctly during recording??? The only thing I can think of is the guide data use to be wrong on this channel. After all the upgrades it was putting a PBS stations guide data on this station. I had to manually change it then a week later my dad told me that the recordings weren't working. Funny thing is the channel it was trying to record from was a PBS channel that had poor signal. I just still don't understand why WMC would have two different channel settings... one for live tv and one for recording.