HDHomeRun not releasing tuners after WMC is off

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun not releasing tuners after WMC is off

Post by Ken H » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:35 pm

I've got an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard that generally works pretty well with WMC on 4 different Windows 7 PC's on my local network. On occasion, after shutting a PC down completely or closing WMC, some of the tuners still show in use (lights still lit on front of HDHomeRun).

For example, if I used three of the tuners and then turned off PC's 1,2,3, and wanted to use one of the tuners on PC #4, I get the no tuners available message because three lights are still lit on the HDHomeRun, meaning they are in use. I power cycle the HDHRP and it then works fine again.

I assume this is some kind of network issue. I'm using a ASUS TMobile TM-AC1900 gigabit router that is set for the QoS on as recommended by Silicondust.

Help.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 pm

If you press STOP before shutting down, does it release the tuner(s)?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:24 pm

tzr916 wrote:If you press STOP before shutting down, does it release the tuner(s)?
Stop? You mean so that no video is running? No, with the tuner on the last channel tuned, I always just close the program or 'Shut down' the PC. Sometimes the tuners get released, sometimes they don't.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Yes, press STOP so that no live tv is playing before closing/shut down. Add it to your universal remote macro, you will be all set.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:25 pm

So if you don't do that the tuners hang up even with WMC not running or the PC completely off? That seems weird, to me. I thought once the program was terminated the tuners would be released because they were doing just that most of the time; they don't hang up all the time.

Ok, so be it. Thanks for the help.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Ken H wrote:So if you don't do that the tuners hang up even with WMC not running or the PC completely off? That seems weird, to me. I thought once the program was terminated the tuners would be released because they were doing just that most of the time; they don't hang up all the time.

Yes, it should release the tuners. Stopping the show is just a way to help make sure, but even that has no guarantee. You probably have a network error, so the tuner occasionally doesn't get the signal to stop streaming to the computer. Mine used to do that, and I would periodically power cycle the tuner to release all the tuners. Then I switched to Warpster's 'Network Monitor' tool to release the tuners from my PC. There is a link to it here:
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 9&start=75 I wish the SD software came with a tool like this.

I reconfigured my home network - now I have the HTPC and the tuner connected to a common unmanaged switch i.e. a dumb switch and the switch is connected to a router (the HTPC and tuner are not directly connected to a router) and I never get the unreleased tuner problems any more. Routers can have their own momentary hiccups and the command to stop the stream doesn't make it to the tuner, but the PC never checks to make sure the command got through.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:16 am

If you exit or shutdown WMC correctly it should stop/release the tuner.

On most remotes you press the green button to power up WMC, some remotes have a close button . but i would think your problem is you are just powering off the PC and it sometimes leaves the tuner hung.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:26 pm

No, I tested it. It can happen after shutting down WMC or shutting down WMC and the PC.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:05 am

mike_ekim wrote:
I reconfigured my home network - now I have the HTPC and the tuner connected to a common unmanaged switch i.e. a dumb switch and the switch is connected to a router (the HTPC and tuner are not directly connected to a router) and I never get the unreleased tuner problems any more.
Right, and I was thinking about doing just this. I know the basic differences between a router, switch, and hub.

I've got an old WiFI router, if I disable WiFi and DCHP, do you think that would work suitably? Or do I actually need just a switch?

Thanks.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Ken H wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:
I reconfigured my home network - now I have the HTPC and the tuner connected to a common unmanaged switch i.e. a dumb switch and the switch is connected to a router (the HTPC and tuner are not directly connected to a router) and I never get the unreleased tuner problems any more.
Right, and I was thinking about doing just this. I know the basic differences between a router, switch, and hub.

I've got an old WiFI router, if I disable WiFi and DCHP, do you think that would work suitably? Or do I actually need just a switch?

Thanks.
If you have one just lying around you might as well give it a shot; it might save you $15. Here's a link to the one I bought, it was suggested on SiliconDust's forums:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HH ... detailpage

aegidius

Post by aegidius » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 am

I found this issue happened over wifi, but not when the tuners and PC are on a wired network. Probably just packets being dropped.

James62370

Post by James62370 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:42 pm

aegidius wrote:I found this issue happened over wifi, but not when the tuners and PC are on a wired network. Probably just packets being dropped.
I too noticed this when using wireless n, on 5 ghz wireless AC, works fine.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:32 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
Ken H wrote:So if you don't do that the tuners hang up even with WMC not running or the PC completely off? That seems weird, to me. I thought once the program was terminated the tuners would be released because they were doing just that most of the time; they don't hang up all the time.

Yes, it should release the tuners. Stopping the show is just a way to help make sure, but even that has no guarantee. You probably have a network error, so the tuner occasionally doesn't get the signal to stop streaming to the computer. Mine used to do that, and I would periodically power cycle the tuner to release all the tuners. Then I switched to Warpster's 'Network Monitor' tool to release the tuners from my PC. There is a link to it here:
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... 9&start=75 I wish the SD software came with a tool like this.

I reconfigured my home network - now I have the HTPC and the tuner connected to a common unmanaged switch i.e. a dumb switch and the switch is connected to a router (the HTPC and tuner are not directly connected to a router) and I never get the unreleased tuner problems any more. Routers can have their own momentary hiccups and the command to stop the stream doesn't make it to the tuner, but the PC never checks to make sure the command got through.
I like your answer the best, Mike.

What a coincidence...Cisco agrees.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solution ... index.html