Syncing HD Homerun Channel Subscription Lineup to EPG

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
gatorback

HTPC Specs: Show details

Syncing HD Homerun Channel Subscription Lineup to EPG

Post by gatorback » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm

In order to list only the subscribed channels (I.e 'lineup'):

In an ideal world, WMC setup would pull the lineup from a source such as the HDHomeRun: http://hdhr./lineup.html. I'm assuming (but need to verify)that this list is a list of subscribed channels. If not, the ability to import a lineup from a text file would also be desirable. Perhaps this has already been done (I do not know the Google search keywords for this) and one can specify the location of the lineup source and merely push a button to update WMC lineup.

Q1) Is there a tool or process to sync with a source (be it a text file or a device URL?
Q2) Is it possible to edit file that contains the list of channels displayed by WMC?

Any actionable suggestions or guidance is appreciated. Thank you

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:17 am

I quick search would find a lot of info about WMC guide. Search for Guidetool.
HDHR has nothing to do with WMC guide.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:18 pm

So, your basic "assumption" is wrong - the HDHR (with cable card) gets a list of channels from the cable provider - and usually, just like the cable box, you get listed all the channels - not just the ones you want to watch. Let's back up a bit and ask what you are really trying to achieve, not how it's done.

WMC does have the ability to turn OFF display of any channel in the "guide", which removes it from display, search, scrolling through the guide, etc. It is a bit of an issue to configure, but probably no worse than making a separate file to feed into the system. So, that should do the trick for a single WMC machine.

But *IF* you needed to do this often or on multiple machines, a way to feed that in would be great. While I haven't used the channel lineup part, there is a pretty goo "backup" tool.http://seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/ YMMV, since backup of channel lineups is "experimental", but worth a shot.

Hope this helps, but if you need to, feel free to give us more background on the "what" you're trying to do...

Scott

gatorback

Post by gatorback » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:17 am

sbaeder wrote:So, your basic "assumption" is wrong - the HDHR (with cable card) gets a list of channels from the cable provider - and usually, just like the cable box, you get listed all the channels - not just the ones you want to watch. Let's back up a bit and ask what you are really trying to achieve, not how it's done.
I really appreciate the good feedback and constructive responses.

GOAL
====
Automate (as much as possible) the WMC Lineup, with a script or application: my hope is that this has already been done or well on it's way to being completed. In my mind automation is preferable, because I would like to have the option to execute the process consistently, remotely and quickly.

PROBLEM STATEMENT
==================
I suspect that the EPG data is the comprehensive list of all possible channels. Because I do not subscribe to all channels, I would like to automate the way that channels are de-selected from the WMC displayed lineup. I have a few observations that may help clarify.

OBSERVATIONS
============
Initially I had subscribed to HBO and it was listed by the HD-Prime's lineup as found here: http://hdhr/lineup.html. Now that I have unsubscribed from HBO and refreshed the list, HBO is no longer listed (no instances of 'HBO' string in the lineup web page). Based on this, wouldn't the URL be a good list (source) to generate (sync) the WMC lineup?

If syncing against the HDhomerun Lineup-URL is not possible, then would the next best thing be to sync against a text file (save the URL data as a text file).

QUESTION
========
Maybe the right question to ask is, how does one access and manipulate the file that control which channels are displayed?