HDHomeRun Prime Sharing Question

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
McGary

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun Prime Sharing Question

Post by McGary » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:38 pm

This is likely addressed somewhere in the owner's thread, but I couldn't find it after scanning virtually every page ....

I have 2 HDHomeRun Primes that I set up to use with WMC on my main Windows 7 HTPC. They work perfectly.

In the pairing process I had to provide the Host ID from WMC while getting the cablecards paired with the Primes ... so I'm wondering if this somehow "ties" these tuners to WMC, or if that was just part of the pairing process.

Can I now use one (or more) of the tuners from a different PC without "messing up" the pairing of the cards? i.e. can I run the TV SIgnal Setup wizard on WMC on a DIFFERENT PC and will it already recognize that the tuners are already paired to a cable card? I don't want to try something that might mess up this very nicely working setup.

Basically I simply want to be able to watch live TV on multiple PC's around the house, so I'd like WMC set up on each of those so they can grab a tuner when needed. But I still want the HTPC to have access to all 6 tuners (unless, of course, 1 or more is in use by another PC).

I could, of course, simply try this ... but just in case there's some "trick" to ensuring I don't mess up the current setup, I thought I'd ask here first to avoid making any mistakes.

My assumption is that I just need to (a) install and run the HDHomeRun software; and then (b) do the TV Signal Setup in WMC. When I did that on my main HTPC it first updated the firmware on the Prime; then WMC gave me a screen with the details I needed to pair the cablecard. I'm assuming that the pairing screen will be skipped if I do it on another PC -- right?

3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm

The pairing process just pairs that cablecard to that tuner. It is not tied to the PC at all. Yes you can connect multiple PCs to one tuner, just skip over the paring screen.