Recorded program sometimes only records half an episode

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
cklo78

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded program sometimes only records half an episode

Post by cklo78 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Most of the time WMC records things just fine but there will be some weeks where 2 or three days out of the week it records like 5 minutes of an episode and then just stops. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:28 pm

Welcome to the forum. You need to provide as much information as possible when posting. What tuner are you using? What driver/firmware?

In Recorded TV, click "View Scheduled" on the top, then select History. Click on the show that failed to record (it should say partial) then look at the reason it failed.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bytor

Post by bytor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:42 pm

All of a sudden starting last week I have started experiencing this same issue. The program is scheduled to record. The recording starts, but stops recording around 27-28 minutes into the scheduled event. I looked at the recording history and it states the recording started and ended without incident. The metadata states the correct listing for the time as if it did in fact record the whole program, but when you look at the progress bar it states the actual recording time. I have had programs stop due to brown outs and they typically restart as a new program with each stating the correct length when that happens, but this one is a head scratcher. As an example: I had two late night shows Colbert/Fallon recording at the same time and they both quit early, however, the next two late night shows (both following on the same channel) had no issue. I had the same issue earlier in the evening on two three hour recordings both only the first 27 minutes. There is no crashing of the program or system as we were watching a recording while some of this was occurring, but were in bed during the late night recordings. Upon review it appears that some shows are not recording at all, too. I am curious if there is a secondary time value hidden in the guide listing that is not matching now due to the switch.

I use a Silicondust dual tuner using an Antenna. I haven't upgraded anything in just over a year (ain't broke don't mess with), other than the EPG issues like everyone else.

The new TV season starts next week and this is not good.

Anyone else experiencing this lately or is it just me?

Thanks,
bytor

rgalverson

Post by rgalverson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:03 am

Check your hdhomerun firmware. If by some chance it was upgraded, there is a bug in version 20150604 and 20150615 that causes this when the HDHR is plugged into some routers (e.g. TMobile/ASus aC1900). There is a beta firmware that seems to fix the problem. If you have a spare Ethernet switch, you could also change what the HDHR plugs in to.

Good luck

Bob

bytor

Post by bytor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:48 am

Well, the firmware hadn't been updated, but I did note in their latest firmware that they reference recording issues. I updated the firmware and everything appeared to work for about one week (haven't checked every recording) then I queued up a show today only to find it short and a review of other files shows the same problem (3 total of about 30 recordings). Here is something very peculiar: when I look in explorer the record times are all over the place. The date is typically correct, but the end times vary (12 am, 4:41pm, 4:42pm, 12 am for Colbert even though the show ends around 12:30am) some other shows are even more haphazard with a Tonight show shown to have recorded twice on the 19th at 12:47am and again at 8:34am. Most of the shows recorded last season show an end time of 12:00am so I assume something is being processed or modified in the file after the recording finishes.

But...this is where I think I may be on to something. I have spotted a few times in the past few weeks where the clock inside of MC is way off (hours), but when I close the program Windows shows the correct time. Maybe the clock is switching times inside MC causing the issue. Always comes back after a restart.

New thoughts???

Bytor