SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Owner's Thread

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
KJohnson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by KJohnson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Plugging it straight into the router did the trick.

Can see it now with the setup software and can get to its webpage, interestingly it was assigned 192.168.0.35. I wonder if I move it back to the network switch at the home entertainment system if it will keep it's IP address and if it's still accessible? Guess we'll see what it does!?!?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Time is on my side.

KScott

Post by KScott » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 pm

ehanson555

Post by ehanson555 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm

What kind of possibilities does this open up? Will applications other than WMC be able to record copy protected content?

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Wow, this is freaking awesome. Hopefully Ceton will get on board too, then we won't have to rely on the dubious future of WMC for anything.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

ehanson555 wrote:
What kind of possibilities does this open up? Will applications other than WMC be able to record copy protected content?
From http://www.dtcp.com/faq.aspx#faq7:

A device enabled with DTCP determines whether it is connected to other devices that implement the DTCP protection technology. Content encoded for DTCP protection is encrypted and securely transmitted only to recording and display devices that implement DTCP. The content carries information indicating whether and to what extent the content may be copied.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 pm

richard1980 wrote:
ehanson555 wrote:
From http://www.dtcp.com/faq.aspx#faq7:

A device enabled with DTCP determines whether it is connected to other devices that implement the DTCP protection technology. Content encoded for DTCP protection is encrypted and securely transmitted only to recording and display devices that implement DTCP. The content carries information indicating whether and to what extent the content may be copied.
So yes, but you can have recording and viewing or viewing only devices is what I gather. Just gotta be sure what you buy.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Imagine that... Live TV on a PS3. Another reason not to buy an XBox.

EDIT: Wow, I just had a thought. You can put up to a 750GB HDD in the PS3. Imagine if Sony enables recording. It's not quite the same whole-house solution as Media Center, but still pretty cool. Of course, if they allowed protected media sharing between PS3's (basically making each PS3 an extender for every other PS3 in the house), you could do some pretty cool stuff.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Imagine that... Live TV on a PS3. Another reason not to buy an XBox.

EDIT: Wow, I just had a thought. You can put up to a 750GB HDD in the PS3. Imagine if Sony enables recording. It's not quite the same whole-house solution as Media Center, but still pretty cool. Of course, if they allowed protected media sharing between PS3's (basically making each PS3 an extender for every other PS3 in the house), you could do some pretty cool stuff.
Plus, it is the best (supported) Blu Ray player on the market. And no subscription requirement. I hate the interface though. My friend uses his as his digital media hub.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:11 am

staknhalo wrote:So yes, but you can have recording and viewing or viewing only devices is what I gather. Just gotta be sure what you buy.
If you are saying the DTCP specification separates devices into those two categories, that is incorrect. There are only two kinds of DTCP devices...source devices (devices that can send content) and sink devices (devices that can receive content). (And a single device can be both a source and a sink device). What a sink device can do with the content it receives is up to the manufacturer. Obviously it will have to comply with the copy protection policy of the content, but the capability to record only depends on whether or not the manufacturer designed the device to make recordings or to just present content.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Imagine that... Live TV on a PS3. Another reason not to buy an XBox.

I think Sony would have to get over a really bad case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome before it would even consider embarking on a strategy that relied on someone elses hardware to be successful.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 am

richard1980 wrote:depends on whether or not the manufacturer designed the device to make recordings or to just present content.
That's what I meant.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm

foxwood wrote:

I think Sony would have to get over a really bad case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome before it would even consider embarking on a strategy that relied on someone elses hardware to be successful.
Exactly. The guess here is that the PS3 is a start but will not be the killer appliance for this tech - someone will come along and get XBMC or something else on Linux working for DTCP and then we're off to the races. I hope, that is, because we really need alternatives other than Tivo and WMC.

EDIT: I just looked at the DTCP adopter and impl docs at www.dtcp.com and it's not cheap or easy for a small company to do this. Might be why the PS3 is the only name device out there supporting DTCP-IP via DLNA now.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree with you slowbiscuit. I don't have high hopes that the PS3 will support recording, but it IS possible. Would be interesting if someone managed to hack the PS3 to make it record though. If that can be done, who cares about being able to play online games!

But... this is a good start. If other device manufacturers come up with a good mix of live/recorded TV and online apps, we might have a winner.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Slightly different topic.... referencing a question posted in this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... qam#p33686
The question was answered, but I want to be sure before I go down this road (and spend the money).

Scenario - Right now there is one TV in the home with a coax cable hooked straight into the back of the TV. This TV gets the most basic TWC tier (something like 30 channels) with no cable box.
Can the HDHR Prime w/o a CC installed be used for "basic" cable much like the dual tuner HDHR?
The way I see it... if this works, they get 3 tuners instead of 2... and they're future-proof if they ever want to step up to a higher tier and rent a CC from timewarner. But for right now, the HDHRPrime would only tune the lowest 30 channels (ClearQAM, I assume).

Is this do-able? I want to be sure sure the HDHRPrime would work without a CC inserted.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 pm

UCBearcat wrote:Can the HDHR Prime w/o a CC installed be used for "basic" cable much like the dual tuner HDHR?
According to the MythTV Wiki, the HDHRPrime can receive ClearQAM (but not ATSC/OTA) signals, without a card installed.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm

At long last... SiliconDust releases a new Firmware that is not BETA!!
20130117 available for download. It looks like they packed in a lot of good fixes that were in many of the Betas from the summer.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 pm

UCBearcat wrote:At long last... SiliconDust releases a new Firmware that is not BETA!!
20130117 available for download. It looks like they packed in a lot of good fixes that were in many of the Betas from the summer.
Yup. That got quietly released overshadowed by all the DLNA stuff..
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm

TeddyR wrote:
UCBearcat wrote:At long last... SiliconDust releases a new Firmware that is not BETA!!
Yup. That got quietly released overshadowed by all the DLNA stuff..
Hmmm. My HDHRP's have been rock solid since day one. I'm not sure I want to install a firmware update.

Have you ever considered that companies who release firmware updates every few days might have a problem with stability? Sure, there are those that never fix problems... but then there are those whose products just work... and there's no need to release new firmware/software every week.

lgspencer

Post by lgspencer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I would recommend Win7. There are some unattractive things about Win8... specifically the Metro interface. Nobody has detailed how to disable that and boot directly into Media Center yet. There are plenty of ways to run Media Center at startup, but the Metro interface would be a concern for me. Also, there have been reports that non-XBox extenders don't work with Win8... and that even the XBox won't play H.264 video under Win8. We'll have to wait until the final release of Win8 to see what happens with extenders.

I don't know what to tell you about getting the Prime to work with Vista. You should contact SiliconDust support for that question.

I agree with fventura03's suggestion about TunerSalad... but I don't know if it will work with Vista. I suggest ditching the ATI tuner. If you're going to pay to rent two CableCARD's, I would recommend buying a 2nd Prime instead of wasting one of the CableCARD's on a single-tuner ATI.
Barnabas, I ditched the ATI tuner and VMC and installed Windows 8 and added Media Center "feature pack". This solved all my issues, now using "5" tuners (3-HD Homerun Prime + 2-HD Homerun).

Thanks for the advice.