HDHomeRun Prime availability?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
stuppid

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun Prime availability?

Post by stuppid » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I recently read that the Silicon Dust app supports DRM so I am planning for the future. My current setup is a Ceton 4 tuner running Windows 7 and 4 Echos. I though I would pick up a couple Primes to stash for the future but I find them unavailable. Does anyone know the future plans for availability? Is another model coming out to replace it?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Supposedly they stopped manufacturing them and earlier this year, they announced a 6 tuner model. Currently there is no set release date and the rumor is they will cost around $200. That being said, SiliconDust's website has refurbished ones on sale for $80-$90 and there is always Ebay.

Being able to view DRM channels does work, as I was able to watch Starz thru the HD HR App on the Xbox one and thru the app on my Android phone.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 am

Just an FYI... The Silicon Dust app supports watching DRM channels LIVE, but nothing they have supports recording of DRM channels (at least not yet). To record DRM channels you still need WMC.

From https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/ :
DRM protected Cable TV channels in the USA are available to be viewed Live via Windows 10, Android and Apple iOS devices. Record, playback and other platforms coming soon.

Note that "coming soon" is very relative, and there is the possibility that it will never happen, especially considering how long it's been since they originally announced the DVR with DRM record capability.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 am

"You missed it by 'that' much."

I got tired of excessive CableTV costs and switched to YouTubeTV and Philo a couple of months ago, selling my Primes on eBay.

I was glad to wait for SiliconDust but at the same time streaming LiveTVcame on line and is a better value so I moved on to OTT services.

If you had just posted this a few months ago I would have gladly sold them to you, saving the seller's fees and splitting the savings with you. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk