Possible to send WMC content to Chromecast?

Chromecast in MediaCenter
cetkat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Possible to send WMC content to Chromecast?

Post by cetkat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 am

I installed Media Center Cast, and it seems to have integrated itself just fine, but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

What I want to do.. is stream the TV content I'm watching on my computer in WMC to my Chromecast. Is there any way to do that with this? If not, can it be made to do so in the future?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

What you really want is an extender for Windows Media Center. They are:

XBox 360
Ceton Echo
HP X280N (available used on e-bay/amazon)
Linksys DMA-2100/DMA-2200 (used on e-bay/amazon)

cetkat

Post by cetkat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately adding a stand-alone device seems like overkill given my setup. My TV already has access to all of my networked media along with Netflix and Amazon. The Chromecast just helps to fill in the gaps and makes Youtube watching more practical.

I had been using a third monitor setup to get WMC on the TV, but the display driver makes it problematic, so I'm trying to find a streamable option.

I chose to go with a Playstation over Xbox, but I did recently add a Wii.

Any thoughts on using a Wii/Orb setup? I just looked into turning the Wii into an extender, and it looks like it's possible. I haven't gotten far enough into it to know if it's actually practical yet though.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Stand-alone device is not overkill if it's the only viable solution (which it is). Orb may work somewhat, but Wii picture quality is beyond awful. My BD player will stream recorded TV from WMC, so long as it's copy freely or isn't copy protected at all. It has a terrible interface though. PlayStation would work the same as my BD player and have far better PQ than Wii. If you really want TV content and can't get a direct connection to work, then you have no choice but an actual extender or possibly XBMC (if you don't need copy protected content).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Why was the display driver a problem? The TV that is connected directly to my PC has the best experience/PQ when compared to the TV's that are connected to extenders.

The only way to get the full Media Center experience is to use the extenders I listed above. When I say the "full experience", I mean...
1) You get a shared guide.
2) You get a shared recording schedule.
3) You can view all of the recorded TV content, including copy-protected recordings.
4) You can watch live TV using the PC's tuners.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

cetkat wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately adding a stand-alone device seems like overkill given my setup. My TV already has access to all of my networked media along with Netflix and Amazon. The Chromecast just helps to fill in the gaps and makes Youtube watching more practical.

I had been using a third monitor setup to get WMC on the TV, but the display driver makes it problematic, so I'm trying to find a streamable option.

I chose to go with a Playstation over Xbox, but I did recently add a Wii.

Any thoughts on using a Wii/Orb setup? I just looked into turning the Wii into an extender, and it looks like it's possible. I haven't gotten far enough into it to know if it's actually practical yet though.
Lurk and read, lurk and read. Otherwise you'll continue to refuse to accept that an extender is the only solution for you, and you'll keep digging at something that doesn't exist.

danny6869

Post by danny6869 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:55 am

I use MediaBrowser3 (server) for this. I send media to my chromecast. It just doesn't do live TV ... yet. Everything else works well.

mrclean

Post by mrclean » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:19 am

A bit more detail, I'm currently doing something like what you are asking for, although not exactly.

I echo what previous posters have said, the complete experience would require an extender. Primarily, for me, the reason has to do with digital rights management (DRM). Unless you get an extender you won't be watching anything other than broadcast TV (air channels) and ESPN. Everything else requires an extender.

Now, i have a TV in back, also when I travel, and I choose to play from my android. It's not to tough to set up. AGAIN, I only get broadcast channels this way, not DRM.

I use Remote Potato (http://myfrem.nl/download.html)
  • Install Remote Potato on your media center PC. Warning, the re-encoding taxes my PC significantly, i'm talking 60%+ on a good i5 setup.
    Install Remote Media Center on your android (1st time you try to use chromecast, you buy the in app purchase for like $3.00 USD.
    Set up the service, connect, and set up recordings, browse the tv guide, watch your broadcast recorded shows, stream using chromecast 8)
I do use the miniusb-HDMI cable from my phone also, but just trying out Chromecast out tonight, and I'm loving it. Seems the streaming takes place directly from/to chromecast, and phone is now a remote control. MUCH easier and cooler on my phone than the hdmi cable. LOL.

You can also use Plex to do about the same stuff. I like the remote potato setup more, better instructions, and pretty much sets itself up. They have a good wizard to get you started.

Cheers! :D

werds

Post by werds » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:10 am

danny6869 wrote:I use MediaBrowser3 (server) for this. I send media to my chromecast. It just doesn't do live TV ... yet. Everything else works well.
LoL, looking at chromecasting WMC as well and prior to checking here I figured the only viable way was going to be some kind of Media Browser plugin... hope that is still not the case. As to everyone saying extender. I agree to a point. My reason for wanting to figure out a chromecast solution is for limited usecase. I want to be able to cast movies from my media center pc out to a projector in the back yard during good weather. I would much prefer not having to bring out a laptop or setup an Xbox 360 or some other extender, a chromecast plugged into a projector would make a simple lightweight and portable solution if I can get this working :)