XBOX 360 "Configuration Error" on windows 10

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
greengameplayer

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX 360 "Configuration Error" on windows 10

Post by greengameplayer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 am

Hello there, total noobie to WMC.
I have spent about two days using Wireshark, Services, and the Event Viewer to try and find out what the problem is. What happens is upon entering the pairing code, the XBOX and Media Center seem to contact each other, in fact the XBOX media center app changes to "contacting" with the dots underneath, but WMC always says "configuration error". I installed WMC-V8.8.4 (on windows version 1809) and renamed the Mcx2Prov.exe.XB360 to Mcx2Prov.exe, because when using the original Mcx2Prov.exe it spit out an error about "FunDisc.dll" and then crashed. I have already modified TermSrv.dll to allow for multiple RDP connections. Any help at all would very appreciated!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:37 am

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:39 pm

greengameplayer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 am Hello there, total noobie to WMC.
I have spent about two days using Wireshark, Services, and the Event Viewer to try and find out what the problem is. What happens is upon entering the pairing code, the XBOX and Media Center seem to contact each other, in fact the XBOX media center app changes to "contacting" with the dots underneath, but WMC always says "configuration error". I installed WMC-V8.8.4 (on windows version 1809) and renamed the Mcx2Prov.exe.XB360 to Mcx2Prov.exe, because when using the original Mcx2Prov.exe it spit out an error about "FunDisc.dll" and then crashed. I have already modified TermSrv.dll to allow for multiple RDP connections. Any help at all would very appreciated!
Did you make any headway on this?

I've spent days and days reading the thread that crash linked to and there seems to be a lot of different configuration options that may or may not help in getting them to work. Some of them actually seem to stop it working altogether. For example, disabling the firewall or creating firewall rules seems to be counterproductive as does enabling and starting different services. It seems to me that WMC configures everything how it wants them as part of the setup routine.

One thing I really can't figure out is the differences between the mcx2prov executables. When I started out on my journey, I was using the one marked xb360 as that was what we are told is required. However, I decided to go back to Windows 7 and start again, testing each O/S in turn then moving forward. I assumed that, given we are working with files from Windows 8.1, it would be necessary to use the one named xb360 on there but it gives a permission denied error so I used the other one and it works.

It is interesting what you said about changing the mcx2prov executable on Windows 10 making things worse. It doesn't seem to make any difference for me.

Have you managed to get RDPWrap to show listening and fully supported?

I had already created another post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12813 on the subject when I found yours - maybe a mod would like to merge them?