xbox 360 extender - SLOW menu

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lawson23

HTPC Specs: Show details

xbox 360 extender - SLOW menu

Post by lawson23 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I have a few xbox 360's I have held on to for the only purpose of being an extender. One of them the internal memory went bad and I was using a thumbdrive until MS released that last out of the blue update it will not apply so will not work. I then moved to my other unit which has a spinning hard drive only. This system extender menu is dog slow. Sometimes I will click something wait like 1 minute before it reacts. Looking for solutions to fix it. I have searched up and down and tried misc things here and there.

Like deleting all the xbox data on the drive and letting it reset. Once it came back it seemed faster for a short period of time like a day but I think I was just being hopeful.
I have removed it from media center as an extender and added it back.

One note I have another xbox 360 extender hooked up also that also appears to be slow. So it seems to be the media center setup having the problem possibly.

Any other ideas please...

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:48 am

Hi,
Do you have a second PC that you could try linking the extenders to, to see if it's an issue with the PC side of things (mcx user account permissions etc) maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

lawson23

Post by lawson23 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Do you mean like a second box to install media center on? If so not really. I will also add I have been using Media Center on this system for about 10 years it was not till about the last year when I had to switch this extender that I noticed the issue and blamed the xbox 360.

Would it be easier to wipe out my media center setup on my pc and start the setup over? To try this?

I do have a Gig Router and a Gig nic on my media center system. I have read that some have had luck by knocking the systems down to talk 100Mb only. There was another post I found on this forum like this but not sure if the same as they were not hardwired.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8161&p=82951&hilit=slow+menu#p82951

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Do you have space on a hard drive to create a new partition and install 2nd copy of Windows maybe - dual boot.

Then try the extender on the newly installed copy?

Trying a new PC would rule out more issues (hardware etc) but a clean copy of Windows is worth a try?

Unless you have an old system image from before the issue occurred that you could restore to the new partition maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Einstien

Post by Einstien » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:08 am

I had this same problem for years with my xbox 360, 4 gig all solid state (no hard drive) extender. I also noticed that the WMC HTPC I set up for my parents home with the same model xbox 360 did not have this issue. And I set one up for my sister and it too did not have this issue. Back to my problem. My HTPC was built when Win7 WMC was new on the scene, and my PC just barley made the system requirements, but it hobbled along. Slow menus and stuff. After a crash and burn I recently built a new HTPC with all new hardware, MBO, Hard drive, memory, etc,. and viola! problem gone. A quick look at my old hard drive revealed it was nearly full. Don't know if freeing up HD space would have cured it or not, but a whole new HTPC sure did.
Sometimes the xbox would even hang. Oddly, even though the problem was in the PC, often times re-booting the xbox would bring it back to life.
Anyway,a new HTPC - no more problems.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 pm

I saw something similar. I noticed everything speed up on the Xbox 360s when I upgraded my HTPC from Core i3 processor to core i5 with more RAM. You wouldn't think it would matter for WM7 but it was noticeable on the Xbox 360s.

You should also make sure your network connection is solid. Run a LAN line from Xbox 360 to your router and test the menu. If problem still there then probably your HTPC.

I have 2 4GB Xbox 360s with the SSD. They have never been perfect and I blame the SSD drive. One of them likes to randomly forget my media center updates and not play cable network channels. The other I notice takes much longer to download any system or app update from Xbox live.

lawson23

Post by lawson23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm

I just wanted to update everyone that I have finally seemed to resolved this without any loss of data (current recordings and schedule):
http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-WMC-backup/
to backup my recording schedule.
C:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -mediacenterrecoverytask
which executed but did not seem to do anything.
has an advanced command to perform a Media Center Factory Reset.
Set Media Center config backup up took about 15 minutes
Restored Media Center recording schedule