Linksys DMA2100 as DLNA receiver - without WMC7?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Linksys DMA2100 as DLNA receiver - without WMC7?

Post by foxwood » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Over the holidays I was visiting someone who used to use a Linksys DMA2100 to view their photos on their TV. They didn't have any TV Tuners, and they aren't all that interested in video, they just liked to look at their photos on the big screen. But since they upgraded their PC to Windows 10, that function doesn't work any more.

At home, I still have a Windows 7 HTPC, with a DMA2100 connected to a TV in a bedroom, and I can use the "Cast to Device" option in Windows 10 to send a slideshow of photos and videos to that TV. I can't control the slidehow with the DMA2100 remote, but I can at least stream the content to that screen.

But it looks as though that only works once the DMA2100 is in Media Centre mode - it doesn't appear to work when it is displaying the "Waiting for PC" message, so it will never work at my friends house, as he only has a Windows 10 PC.

He can probably get a new BluRay player for $50 with similar functionality, or some other media streaming device, but is there any way to sent content to his device from a Windows 10 machine, while it is still searching for a non-existing WMC7 to connect to?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:13 pm

I was going to say install Windows Media Center for WIndows 10 but, that will not even work. 3rd party extenders were killed in 8.1 due to changes in RDP, the 360 is the only one. DLNA on the DMA2100 needs the PC interface to work, it could never work standalone.

The DMA2100 will not work with Windows 10 in any form, even 3rd parties tried to "hack it to work" with out luck.

Sad to say, it might be time for another option...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Install Plex on the Windows 10 PC to share images. Buy the cheapest Amazon Fire TV Stick you can find on ebay.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:14 pm

DavidinCT wrote:I was going to say install Windows Media Center for WIndows 10 but, that will not even work. 3rd party extenders were killed in 8.1 due to changes in RDP, the 360 is the only one. DLNA on the DMA2100 needs the PC interface to work, it could never work standalone.

The DMA2100 will not work with Windows 10 in any form, even 3rd parties tried to "hack it to work" with out luck.

Sad to say, it might be time for another option...
The DMA2100 does work with Windows 10 - I can send photos and videos to my DMA2100 as a DLNA device. But only once it has connected to a Windows Media Centre.

I know that the DMA2100 didn't work as an extender with WMC on Windows 8, but I'm not sure if it would actually connect, so that it could then be used as a DLNA receiver so that I could use "Cast To Device" to send stuff to it. While the DMA2100 can't be used as an Extender with WMC8 because of the changes in RDP, I don't think that that would have any impact on the DLNA side of things, because I'm pretty sure that doesn't involved the RDP session from the Media Centre - the image is generated by the DMA2100 device itself. But I'm not interested in jumping through the hoops to set up WMC8.1 on Windows 10 to test that, and even if it worked, I don't think I'd recommend it for this particular person. But if there was something slightly less complex that would make the DMA2100 start listening to DLNA requests, great, if not, well, he's gotten 6 or 7 years out of it.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Scallica wrote:Install Plex on the Windows 10 PC to share images. Buy the cheapest Amazon Fire TV Stick you can find on ebay.
If he has to "upgrade" anyway, he wants a device with a USB port, so that it can be used even when the PC is off. So a Roku would probably be a better fit. But I'm less interested in alternatives than finding out if anyone knew of a way to make the DMA device go into DLNA mode.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

That is truly interesting that the DMA is able to receive Win10 casts, but only while connected to a Win7 WMC.

Have a look in your 7's event viewer when the DMA Is connecting. And when it is unable to connect. When I was working with the Ceton Echo fundsk (FunctionDiscovery) was erroring and failing. The Echo software refused to run on win10. We got around this one using REGISTERMCEAPP on w10

If there is some install software for the DAM, that might be a start. Another barrier might be the SMB changes in 10, go into programs and features and turn on the same SMB as you have in your win 7.

I don't know if any of these suggestions will work. Just a couple ideas for you to try.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 409#p99409