Xbox 360 cannot connect to the Windows Media Center PC

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:16 am

Maybe there is something wrong with the xbox. Do both of them do the same thing?

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:51 am

Maybe the Media Center Extender software on the HTPC is corrupt? Are there any disk/IO errors in your logs?

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:06 am

Both XBoxes are doing the same thing.

I didn't see any I/O errors logged.

Last night, I decided to uninstall the WMC feature in Windows, reboot, and reinstall it. So-far, I haven't had any issues with the extenders connecting. Usually, after around 5 or 6 hours, they would stop working. Only time will tell if this truly fixed it. The interesting thing is that I know disabling the WMC feature doesn't delete everything (all of my recording settings were saved). I'm going to deactivate my regularly-scheduled morning reboot and see if things continue to work. I'll post an update later.

Thanks again, all, for your help.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 am

... after my last contact with everyone, I tried connecting the HTPC with the XBOX using a switch, and I continue to have this issue. Immediately after a fresh restart, things work, but without a restart, the Xbox cannot connect.

It looks like there is another user with the same issue viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11594&p=129107#p129107

Any other suggestions or new thoughts?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 pm

switch is bad.

bluebright

Post by bluebright » Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 am

I experienced this issue of the Xbox not being able to find the media center PC recently when my GS748T switch failed. At first, I replaced it with a spare GS108 to keep my essential devices connected, and that worked fine. A week later, I put in two GS116Ev2 switches, with both my media center PC and Xbox connected to one of those. That's when the trouble started: everything in the network worked absolutely fine, except that the Xbox would not be able to find the PC after a while. I suspected I had made a cabling mistake, but everything checked out fine, and still no connection between PC and Xbox. While I was troubleshooting this, I initially I rebooted the PC to re-establish the connection, until, in the process of debugging, I discovered that unplugging the network cable between PC and switch and plugging it back in also reestablished the connection. Because the problem started when I put in the new switch (which is otherwise working fine), I suspected it had something to do with it. The new switch is connected to my router (Hotbrick LB-2). When I plugged only my PC into the router directly, the problem persisted. But when I plugged both Xbox and PC into my router, the Xbox was able to connect to the PC again.

The new GS116Ev2 is a smart switch, I suspect that its settings, maybe QoS, somehow cause issues. Resetting to factory defaults did not help.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 am

It is too bad nobody can find a fix to this problem, as it makes the Xbox Media Center extenders useless. My solution was to add an HDHomerun to my setup (I have a Ceton InfiniTV4) and use a combination of the SiliconDust app for live TV and Plex for recorded TV with Amazon Fire Sticks in the TVs (upgraded my wireless network as well). Plex doesn't read WMC's naming conventions, so it won't index the files without a renaming program (none of which I have found to work particularly well) but it works in a pinch.

bluebright

Post by bluebright » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 am

I found the solution in my case: my new network switches have IGMP snooping set to on by default, whereas my old switch had it set to off by default. When I switched IGMP snooping to off on my GS116Ev2, my Xbox had no trouble finding the media center PC.

tardyturtle

Post by tardyturtle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:29 am

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, I don't think my router allows me to toggle IGMP snooping. Instead, I've resorted to getting a set of Fire Sticks and using Plex to view recorded content and the Channels app to view live TV. Channels is nicer than the SiliconDust app as it deinterlaces and has a nicer guide.