2 Broke Girls

adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

for the record, I don't watch HBO/Showtime/et al. I have no idea what they have to offer. (But frankly, after seeing that they hung on to Sex and the City for so long, I don't think I'm missing out here.)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:43 pm

adam1991 wrote:for the record, I don't watch HBO/Showtime/et al. I have no idea what they have to offer. (But frankly, after seeing that they hung on to Sex and the City for so long, I don't think I'm missing out here.)
Millions of women loved Sex and the City. It was not a "guy show".

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:00 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I honestly couldn't even begin to make a list of shows I'd rather watch than the network dramas, it would be too long. Boardwalk, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Homeland, Breaking Bad. I will think of more as soon as I hit submit on this post.

I will say though that I'm not a fan of the weekly Crime/whodunit shows in general, and that's one thing the big 3 do well. I will occasionally watch Castle or Bones in repeats, but I don't get into many others. Lie to Me was pretty good too the times I caught it.
I am not a fan of pretty much all crime procedural shows on TV either. The Law & Orders are the only ones I'll give any credence to. However, Castle is a genuinely funny and charming show. I don't care for the whole ongoing story of Becket's mom's murderer; but the one-off episodes are usually brilliant. The recent comic-con episode, a past UFO abduction episode, and a super-hero vigilante episode come to mind.

The only shows I watch that are dramas are Mad Men, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Newsroom and Castle. Only one of those are a network show. I haven't gotten around to watching my recordings of The Following/Continuum/The Americans. Or House of Cards on Netflix.

Most of my comedies come from network though. Modern Family, Community, The Office, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock (it just ended, so I'll include it), American Dad, Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, and SNL. I also watch The Neighbors. I don't know why. I saw the first episode and went "This show is gonna be off the air in 3 weeks."; but there's something about it that has grown on me. The second I can't stand it anymore though, it will be removed from my recording lineup without hesitation.

The only ones from cable I watch are It's Always Sunny, Aqua Teen, South Park, and Archer.

I also watch a hell of a lot of PBS. Nova/Nova ScienceNow/Nature/Frontline.
adam1991 wrote:for the record, I don't watch HBO/Showtime/et al. I have no idea what they have to offer. (But frankly, after seeing that they hung on to Sex and the City for so long, I don't think I'm missing out here.)
HBO has always had good shows. Currenlty Boardwalk Empire (which I don't follow, but I should), The Newsroom, and Game of Thrones come to mind. In the past they've had The Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Entourage (which you either love or hate), Deadwood, and Generation Kill are all shows I've enjoyed.
Last edited by staknhalo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm looking for a good comedy though.
Big Bang Theory, The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory, New Girl, Raising Hope are all funny, though tastes can vary, and I think some of them you need to see from the beginning.

The next season of Psych starts in a few weeks too, though that might be an acquired taste!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:10 pm

foxwood wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I'm looking for a good comedy though.
Big Bang Theory, The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory, New Girl, Raising Hope are all funny, though tastes can vary, and I think some of them you need to see from the beginning.

The next season of Psych starts in a few weeks too, though that might be an acquired taste!
I can't stand Big Bang Theory :P Modern Family is one of the best comedies on right now; and it's something that you can jump right into I think. It's all one big extended family. That's all you need to know and can pick that up pretty quick.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:17 pm

My wife records Modern Family and The Middle. I've seen a few of them, and they're funny. I guess I should watch them with her.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:21 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:My wife records Modern Family and The Middle. I've seen a few of them, and they're funny. I guess I should watch them with her.
I record The Middle, but I find it kinda "meh" more often then not. Modern Family though you should def give a shot. The thing to remember is that it's ABC.....so it's essentially a Disney family comedy. But it's well written and consistently funny. Plus, I like to picture Al Bundy left Peg and finally got the life he dreamed of lol.

Same with Castle....it's the Disney charm and production value on a police procedural.

What kind of humor do you usually like? Stoner-stupid stuff/referential-meta humor/family friendly/off-the-wall obscene? If you tell us, we can probably recommend some shows right up your alley. I actually realized I have no taste in humor going by what I record. To me, funny is funny :P

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

staknhalo wrote:I can't stand Big Bang Theory
Sheldon does not agree with your opinion. Therefore, you are wrong, and you must immediately change your opinion.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 pm

It's hard to say what kind of humor I like. I like lots of different stuff. I'll give Modern Family more of a try. It's definitely been funny the times that I've caught it. My wife gets more time in front of the TV than I do, so she often watches things without me. For example, a coworker of hers recommended Breaking Bad. She started watching it on Netflix from season 1. She had finished all but the last few episodes before I even had a chance to sit down to watch it. I liked it, but I had to ask her lots of questions because I didn't understand why these people were doing what they were doing.

Things have changed and I have more time on my hands now. I started working from home a month ago (saving me an hour and a half round-trip commute each day), and I bought my son a car. So I no longer have to make the 1-hour round-trip (in the opposite direction from work) to pick up and drop off my kids at their mother's house twice a week (saving me another 4 hours a week). Altogether, I was spending about 12 hours in the car each week.

Now, I can roll out of bed and I'm already at work. My commute is walking down the hallway. When 5pm rolls around, I'm already home. My son drives my daughter to my house twice a week now, and he only has to make the round-trip one time each visit instead of twice like I did. It's nice not having to drive so much.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm

richard1980 wrote:
staknhalo wrote:I can't stand Big Bang Theory
Sheldon does not agree with your opinion. Therefore, you are wrong, and you must immediately change your opinion.
That made me laugh more then the show ever did :D
barnabas1969 wrote:words
In that case...as long as you got the tuners and HDD space free, record whatever piques your interests. I record a lot of shows when they first start and will give them a season before I decide to axe them or not. I usually don't get to watch them until summertime when nothing else is on. It also works because by that time I have the season recorded and can just marathon them....if they last that long.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:01 pm

staknhalo wrote:In that case...as long as you got the tuners and HDD space free, record whatever piques your interests. I record a lot of shows when they first start and will give them a season before I decide to axe them or not. I usually don't get to watch them until summertime when nothing else is on. It also works because by that time I have the season recorded and can just marathon them....if they last that long.
I do the same kind of thing. I record a ton of stuff so that I have something "new" to watch when the TV networks are all playing re-runs.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Thanks for reminding me about Justified. A friend at work recommended it a while back and I forgot to schedule it to record. It's all set now.

I like Homeland, Breaking Bad, Elementary, Person of Interest, Grimm, and several of the other shows that have been mentioned here. I'm looking for a good comedy though.
Really depends on what you like, but Community, Parks and Rec, Always Sunny, Archer, and Modern Family are the best going right now IMO.

Also Adam if you're avoiding HBO shows because of Sex and the City you're missing out. They've got some of the best originals on TV right now
staknhalo wrote:more words
I agree with everything you said, we watch pretty much the same shows.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Oh The League is also really good, you can catch up on the first few seasons on Netflix if you've got it. Even without you caring about sports (based on guys in a fantasy football league) it's still funny.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 pm

LuckyDay wrote: Also Adam if you're avoiding HBO shows because of Sex and the City you're missing out. They've got some of the best originals on TV right now
Well, I gave up on HBO years ago when I realized it wasn't even worth stealing, let alone ten bucks a month.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

adam1991 wrote:Well, I gave up on HBO years ago when I realized it wasn't even worth stealing, let alone ten bucks a month.
Not sure how many years ago that was, but currently they have three dramas that make everything on network look like garbage. That's not even counting the ones I don't even watch like Treme, True Blood, Veep, or Girls, which people seem to like (a lot).

And less than five years ago they were still airing The Wire which is considered by many to be one the best dramas in the history of television.

That's got to be at least worth stealing.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:32 pm

So I'm having a productive day at work watching House of Cards on Netflix. Only 4 eps in but it's pretty good. Nothing spectacular yet but you can feel it's building up to something.
Last edited by staknhalo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm

I've also heard it's good. I'll probably check it out in the next few days.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

"At work....watching Netflix...."

:)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:04 pm

STC wrote:"At work....watching Netflix...."

:)
Living the dream man, living the dream. I also use this to browse Reddit at work when a lot of people are around lol http://msworddit.com/

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
staknhalo wrote:In that case...as long as you got the tuners and HDD space free, record whatever piques your interests. I record a lot of shows when they first start and will give them a season before I decide to axe them or not. I usually don't get to watch them until summertime when nothing else is on. It also works because by that time I have the season recorded and can just marathon them....if they last that long.
I do the same kind of thing. I record a ton of stuff so that I have something "new" to watch when the TV networks are all playing re-runs.

We are just catching up on Up All night, and it has been cancelled for a year. Finally caught up on the Office last weekend. Terabytes of storage is a nice thing. You can really time shift your TV. :-)

I have Top Gear from 2010, that I have yet to watch!