Samsung One Remote + Media Center

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Vycor

HTPC Specs: Show details

Samsung One Remote + Media Center

Post by Vycor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:36 pm

So it's been about 15 years or more since I built my HTPC. I had one of the first (still have it) Ceton infiniTV 4 tuner cards. Still works to this day. I'm running Windows 7 with it and WMC. I know it's an old platform and it's no longer supported but i'll work on that.

Anyway my question is this. I was using a Harmony Remote (their best one) and honestly didn't like it BUT it worked. It was always a pain to use and control the media center but it worked.

Anyway we just upgraded to a new Samsung 55" Smart TV and love it. It has the One Remote which seems great. Simple and missing a lot of buttons i'd like to see, BUT it works.

My question is this... is there a way to get the One Remote to work with my Windows computer? I'm probably going to look into either going with Cetons new Media Center product (well not sure how NEW it is lol it's new for me) Or maybe Kodi (I already run Kodi on my fire TV in the bedroom since MyMovies has been on the fritz for me for a long time now and i don't spend enough time watching TV to fix it).

But back to what I was saying... how can I get the OneRemote to control windows media center or another program? I use one of those IR USB sensors on the computer, the ones we've all seen with that grey remote and the green windows button. But is there something NEW that can work with the One Remote I should look into? I'm not opposed to buying new components. I'm already thinking of putting Windows 10 on the system and getting rid of Windows 7 (I love windows 7 though so maybe it'll stay).

Let me know. Like I said i've been out of the game for 15 years now and im not sure what's new out there and what everybodys using.

StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Vycor wrote:But back to what I was saying... how can I get the OneRemote to control windows media center or another program? I use one of those IR USB sensors on the computer, the ones we've all seen with that grey remote and the green windows button. But is there something NEW...
Hi Vycor!

I use Win 7 Pro with WMC. I intend to use it until it simply doesn't work anymore -> and I hope that's a long time! ;)

I've been using a single remote to control my TV and my receiver, but I've always used a wireless keyboard and mouse to control all the aspects of my HTPC (WMC, browsing, email, etc). Recently I've been playing around with the LG "QuickRemote" app and have it set up to control my TV and receiver with my phone. Downside? It works off IR and I've never had an IR receiver on the actual HTPC.

Anyway... I found an app on Google Play called Unified Remote that has a FREE WMC remote. Not only does the remote include every common control for WMC on one screen, it has a mouse and keyboard that can be used anywhere in Windows. I've only been using it for a few days but I can see my phone becoming my all-in-one remote and my old remote, keyboard, and mouse going in the cabinet to become dust collectors...

It was ridiculously easy to setup. Install the server, install the app, pick the WMC remote from the included list of remotes, BAM... It simply works (for me).

PS - They have four remotes for Kodi but I'm able to use the keyboard/mouse functions of their WMC remote in Kodi.