SSD vs Disk

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newpctech

HTPC Specs: Show details

SSD vs Disk

Post by newpctech » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I have heard alot of talk about using, or not to use, an SSD due to the pre-mature failure of the drive for a media/WMC pc - anyone have thoughts? My question comes in the wake of so cheap SSD's and the eventual scarcity of Disk drives.
I have tried a SSD prior and the speed was much better than the Disk.

I have a 1TB Disk now but am looking to again move back to SSD - http://www.dealsniffer.net/samsung-860- ... g-save-50/

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Been running SSD drive for 3 years no troubles
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

dkm

Post by dkm » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm

I've got an SSD for the OS and a 7200rpm spinning disk for DVR recording. After 7-8 years both the SSD and spinning disk do just fine. I can record 4 tuners (the max on my Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI) at the same time without issue. Playback with fast forward and rewind seems OK too. Would an SSD improve that? Probably. But I'd rather have more space than faster access.

I have looked at a bigger SSD (I've got a 128GB in there now) for a boot drive. The thought being that if I upgrade to a 4k TV, I should also upgrade the GPU to better handle upscaling for unprotected content playback. If I get a better GPU, the bigger SSD would basically be used for game installs and the box morphs into more of a Gaming PC that also happens to record cable in it's spare time.
Last edited by dkm on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newpctech

Post by newpctech » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

I have a spinning disk running in a PC with I3 onboard graphics running my 4k - occasionally I get an error about "running on high resolution" but no issues picture wise. I am interested in the speed a SSD would proved but operationally all seems to be fine