Handbrake settings that work for me

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Ironhorse

HTPC Specs: Show details

Handbrake settings that work for me

Post by Ironhorse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

After reading several of the replies and comments on the Ceton Echo Extender about play back of movies from you own personal library, as I was having issues with this. I decided to do a little testing myself. I have found setting that work for me. So far I have converted two movies and both seem to play well on the Echo. One a romantic comedy, You've Got Mail, and an action Matrix Revolutions. The ideal was to test two different types of movies for shudder etc. which was the issues I was having. Different types of movies will produce either more or less shuddering. These setting seem to work for both types of movies. My test bed: Main computer AMD 8 core 3.1ghz, 16gig, SSD - System, 4tbyte raid 27"Asus Monitor; living room - 4core 2.66ghz intel, 8gig, SSD 60"Sharp TV; bedroom1; Ceton Echo Extender 36" Polorid TV; bedroom 2- Dell 2.2 ghz, 4gig, 120 gig disk 24"Dell Monitor. Home network highspeed supports wired and dual band wireless, Internet TWC Turbo, Cable TWC cable card w/HD HomeRun. All computers are running Win7. By setting share options on main computer with home group allows me to use it as a workstation/server. All movies are decoded/encoded and stored on the main computer using AnyDvD and Handbrake. I have tested by both using a MKV file previously encoded using Handbrake defaults for original DVD and encoding directly from a HD-DVD. It seems to work either way.

Handbrake settiongs:
Container: MKV, High Profile
Picture: Ananmorphic: loose Modulus: 16, Cropping: Auto unless settings are not zero, then custom and set top, bottom, left, right to zero.
Video: Codec: H.264, Framerate: Same as source, select Constant Frame rate, select Constant Quality RF:20,
Audio: Codec; AAC(faac); Mixdown: Dobly Prologic II; Samplerate - Auto, Bitrate - 320, DRC & Gain: 0

After encoding and re-encoding movies, I played them on the Echo and all TV units. All worked well including the Ceton Echo Extender. I hope this info helps.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

For both MkV and MP4 containers with High Profile, Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3 the only setting change necessary is constant frame rate. I have provided test files to Ceton during the beta that are encoded with variable frame rate, but the source is constant. These still do not play. The bug was accepted. No status update as of this post. All settings held the same, it comes down to the setting difference of constant frame rate vs variable.

handyd

Post by handyd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:03 am

Worked for me. Thank you

I also use divx.com's Divx Plus Converter. It works as well in MKV mode,

dqtmg2

Post by dqtmg2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Can someone explain what differences I would notice in a recording at a constant frame rate vs. variable?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 am

If the source is constant frame rate such as a blu-ray movie, there will be no difference between constant and variable frame rate. Handbrake does not change the source material frame rate if set to same as source. If the source is variable, you are relying on handbrake to add the additional frames when you set it to constant. Eitherway, your TV or PC or device will have to add the additional frames to bring it up to a constant frame rate. Its never perfect so you will see a hitch every so often if your eye are sensitive.

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:22 pm

If converting a .wmv, do you deinterlace/detecline/decomb?

The ONLY way I can get smooth playback converting 1080i to 720p on my HTPC is to use variable frame rate with no de-xxx processing.

I have yet to find a SMOOTH conversion that will work on the Echo (scrollers and panning shots judder like mad).

xnappo

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm

xnappo wrote:If converting a .wmv, do you deinterlace/detecline/decomb?

The ONLY way I can get smooth playback converting 1080i to 720p on my HTPC is to use variable frame rate with no de-xxx processing.

I have yet to find a SMOOTH conversion that will work on the Echo (scrollers and panning shots judder like mad).

xnappo
Well - have found that by encoding using a constant 59.94 framerate instead of 'same as source' it plays just fine... 29/59 bug?

xnappo

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:30 pm

What is the source frame rate in this scenario?

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Sammy2 wrote:What is the source frame rate in this scenario?
Hard to say. In one tool it says 29.97, and in another 59.94.

What is the best way to tell for sure?

Also - I tried encoding using MS Expression encoder using VC1 - looks really good on my HTPC but get a black screen on the Echo (sound plays). I thought VC1 was supported?

xnappo

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 pm

For troublesome videos, I'll often open them up in VirtualDub (with the ffdshow or DirectShow input plugin) and tinker with the filters in VirtualDub until I find a suitable combination. Then I'll either encode in VirtualDub and remux with MKVToolnix or just use the same settings in HandBrake.

The biggest drawback to handbrake is lack of a realtime preview pane. You can't really see what your results are going to look like without actually encoding a chunk of video. And if your original clip is interlaced weird, VirtualDub has some pretty decent deinterlacing options.

For the record, most of the 1080i content that I've reencoded with Handbrake to 720p looks pretty good, but it all started off as either an MKV or TS file. I haven't really encountered many WMV files.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 pm

xnappo wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:What is the source frame rate in this scenario?
Hard to say. In one tool it says 29.97, and in another 59.94.

What is the best way to tell for sure?

Also - I tried encoding using MS Expression encoder using VC1 - looks really good on my HTPC but get a black screen on the Echo (sound plays). I thought VC1 was supported?

xnappo
29.97 is interlaced and 59.94 the progressive equivalent. I would venture to assume this is 29.97 interlaced content. So by encoding it to 59.94 you have made it progressive so the echo doesn't have to use it's scalar to process and de-interlace the file.

VC-1 should be supported? I think?

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:54 pm

The source *should* definitely be 29.97 interlaced. My wife is way behind on 'The Mentalist' so I am trying to free up some disk space :)

The formula I have right now seems to be working - constant frame rate 59.94 with 'decomb' selected in processing. However it is SLOW. The MS tool is actually pretty nice - and it was considerably faster for similar bitrates.

I will play with it some more once these encodes finish.

xnappo

tad

Post by tad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:49 pm

What codec's are y'all using for mkv playback? I haven't needed to use mkv's until I got my echo so I'm a bit green in this area... Shark007 Codec Pack or is something else preferred?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

tad wrote:What codec's are y'all using for mkv playback? I haven't needed to use mkv's until I got my echo so I'm a bit green in this area... Shark007 Codec Pack or is something else preferred?
That's what I'm using at the present time but it is basically LAV splitter.