No update option after firmware update

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
RealCodeGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

No update option after firmware update

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Last night I updated all 3 Echos to the 1206 beta firmware. Today, one of them won't start up to live TV as configured. The Echo plugin app doesn't show the mac address and where the version number should be there is only a 'v' with no version number. Navigating to the Update option on the menu just displays a Save or Cancel button and no option to update or choose stable or beta. Good gosh, what has happened?

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 pm

I received my echo on 11/28, the update option in the menu has always been blank for me, i thought it was something they would be turning on in a future, forced update. amiright?

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 pm

No, it's supposed to be populated now. It always has been on all my units until today. That screen offers the option to choose "Stable" or "Beta" updates. When an update is available there is an option to download and install it. They pushed a beta update on the 6th.

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm

The behavior you're describing is typical of the "factory" firmware version. Does your Echo show "unknown" as the version at the bootup "starry" splash screen?

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes, it does. I'm not sure how to get it to update though. I successfully installed the latest beta on it last night so I don't understand how it reverted on it's own.

EDIT: I was updating 3 Echos and I will admit I might not of verified the update was successful on all three. It's possible the beta install failed on this particular unit.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. At least that's how I feel now....

I completely unplugged all cables from the Echo showing Unknown version number and let it sit 5 minutes. When I plugged it back in it had returned to the latest beta version. I know, it makes me sound crazy, but it happened.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

How do I get this 1206 firmware? I updated my Echo plugin on the PC, and the "About" menu (used to be called "Update") doesn't show any updates available... even if I select the "beta channel".

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:How do I get this 1206 firmware? I updated my Echo plugin on the PC, and the "About" menu (used to be called "Update") doesn't show any updates available... even if I select the "beta channel".
There should be a line showing the version of the echo software. Highlight that line and select it. This should display that an update is avail to be applied.
Time is on my side.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:32 pm

TeddyR wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:How do I get this 1206 firmware? I updated my Echo plugin on the PC, and the "About" menu (used to be called "Update") doesn't show any updates available... even if I select the "beta channel".
There should be a line showing the version of the echo software. Highlight that line and select it. This should display that an update is avail to be applied.
Thanks. I figured it out before I came back here. I wouldn't have guessed that the version number was a button that could be pressed.

I think I liked it better the way it was before.

dhwinner

Post by dhwinner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am

I hope someone is still reading this forum. I am still holding onto my MCE and Echos. Haven't found anything better yet.

Here is something... I purchased a new echo on eBay a while back to have a back up since they obviously have been discontinued. Was a new unit, box still sealed. I opened it to use and it has the starry backdrop (which I've never seen before, newer model then the ones I have I suppose), boot up fine, version unknown etc. Here is the problem, this unit will not play protected content, when all of my other units do. The error is says that the permissions do not allow for protected content to be played.

Does anyone know what this may be and how to fix. Was wondering if the firmware needs to be updated. but sounds like that it may already have the latest, based on what I have read in this string.