Ceton Echo help? Am I the last one using it?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Echo help? Am I the last one using it?

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:56 am

I've got two Echos, both running the last beta firmware, both reasonably reliable. A few nights ago, one of the Echos went into recovery mode and since it finally recovered, it has exhibited these anomalies:
1. When playing back recordings made in the past two weeks, the video turns to black and the audio blasts out a motorboating sound. I verified the recordings could play on my other Echo.
2. I cannot access the malfunctioning Echo through its 198.168.0.xxx address (although I can access the other Echo). When I try to access the settings through Windows Media Center Extras, I get the message that it can't start that application. The other Echo works fine.

I have tried deleting and reconnecting the Echo. I have tried typing in the RECOVERY code on the number pad - the Echo boots up but doesn't enter the 60-minute recovery mode. I have tried playing the recordings that were giving me a problem, and for the moment they seem to work. But the fact that I can't access any information about the Echo makes me suspect that I've got a problem that's only going to get worse.

I imagine there's no way to force a re-installation of the firmware, since Ceton no longer exists? no longer supports this model?

I'd appreciate comments from anyone. Please note that I really like the WMC/Ceton Echo setup - I've got a server configured just to run Windows 7 and WMC, I subscribe to an electronic program guide (I forget the name, but it works seamlessly), and I use WMC in conjunction with Roku devices to cover my recording and streaming needs. I was hoping SiiconDust would solve their DRM problem, but they seem far away from a solution. And I hated the cable company's DVR solution. So if I can preserve WMC for a few more years, I would like to.
Dean L. Surkin

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:05 am

I sold all but one of mine a couple of years ago already. The one I didn't sell was stuck in recovery for a week before I tossed it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203047714757

Fastest way to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk