Ceton Echo does not communicate with router

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Horkonaut

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Echo does not communicate with router

Post by Horkonaut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Hello,

I have an old Ceton Echo that used to work and has apparently stopped working. I have verified that my ethernet and HDMI cables are working properly and when I plug it in, the "ceton" light comes on on the front of the unit and the optical audio port turns red. No other lights turn on (and I can't remember if they should). If I look in my active device list in my router, the Ceton Echo cannot be found (I know its MAC address and it isn't listed). It is as if the networking component of the Ceton Echo is dead. There is no HDMI output coming from the Ceton Echo.

My questions is, is there anything that I can try to revive the Ceton Echo? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but no harm in asking!

Thanks for reading.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:27 pm

You can do something but it requires tech support from Ceton. The procedure is detailed here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3689. You also may need to use a application they send but I'll see if I can upload. Given the current state of Ceton tech support you may not get a response for a long time if at all. Tried to upload the application but it's too big to zip and the file restriction doesn't work well with part files.

Horkonaut

Post by Horkonaut » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 pm

cwinfield wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:27 pm You can do something but it requires tech support from Ceton. The procedure is detailed here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3689. You also may need to use a application they send but I'll see if I can upload. Given the current state of Ceton tech support you may not get a response for a long time if at all. Tried to upload the application but it's too big to zip and the file restriction doesn't work well with part files.
Thank you for your reply!

I forgot to mention that the Ceton Echo does not respond to any commands from the remote. For example, the power buttons don't do anything and it doesn't seem to respond to that number code in the thread you pointed me to. I have confirmed that the remote is sending signals by looking at it through a camera screen and it has a fresh set of batteries. From what I have read, it seems like the recovery process involves the Ceton Echo having an internet connection, but my device does not have a network connection (it is not on my router's active device list).

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 pm

So I have had a unresponsive echo were the NIC port wouldn't do anything until using the app having the usb plugged into the computer not the power source restored it.

Horkonaut

Post by Horkonaut » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pm

cwinfield wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 pm So I have had a unresponsive echo were the NIC port wouldn't do anything until using the app having the usb plugged into the computer not the power source restored it.
Okay that is good to know. I tried submitting a ticket on the Ceton website - we'll see if anyone is manning the station there. I'm assuming that even if I download this file (http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe), I will still need to alert someone at Ceton of my MAC address. So it wouldn't make sense to proceed with anything at this point until I hear a response to the ticket that I opened.

Thanks again for your response.