Echo IR USB Receiver

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Justa_nother_poster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo IR USB Receiver

Post by Justa_nother_poster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Trying to move the Ceton Echo behind a TV. I plugged an IR USB Receiver I used to use with my Windows Media Center PC and got some anomalous behavior. Pressing the Exit or Enter key did nothing and pressing the arrow keys looked like pressing letters to the Ceton.

Has anyone had any luck with an IR Receiver with the Echo? I'm trying to move from Xbox360's (large, audible fan) to smaller and quieter Echos for multiple TV's. This was not an option years ago as I wanted to show movies through WMC, but all of that has been moved to Plex and I still find WMC is the best option out there for recording and watching programs recorded OTA or from cable.

Justa_nother_poster

Post by Justa_nother_poster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Just to follow up for anyone in the future. Instead of using an IR USB Receiver, I got an IR Repeater for about 6 bucks from Amazon. I'm powering it from the USB port on the back of the Ceton with no issues. Ceton IR receiver seems to be on the left side and it looks like it will work like a champ. Much nicer to have the Ceton hidden and no wires/boxes visible.

seang86s

Post by seang86s » Tue May 04, 2021 12:34 am

Which IR extender wound up working for you? I've been trying to use my Xantech IR repeater on a few Echos and they all fail to work unless I set the IR emitter about a foot away from the front of the Echo. Then it kinda works.

Justa_nother_poster

Post by Justa_nother_poster » Wed May 05, 2021 1:29 am

seang86s wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:34 am Which IR extender wound up working for you? I've been trying to use my Xantech IR repeater on a few Echos and they all fail to work unless I set the IR emitter about a foot away from the front of the Echo. Then it kinda works.
The brand I purchased is no longer available but very similar looking is this one: https://smile.amazon.com/USB-IR-Repeate ... VPQJ&psc=1

Essentially there is an IR receiver that is taped via double sided tape to the bottom of the TV (unobtrusive), a USB plug to provide power and an IR transmitter that is taped on top of the Ceton's IR receive port. It works very well if you tape the IR Transmitter directly above the Ceton's IR receiver. If you have a bright flashlight to shine on the Ceton Echo you can identify the spot fairly easily.

Right now I'm using three Echos this way and all are doing well. I'd be happy to abandon WMC but have NOT found a suitable substitute for time delayed watching of broadcast TV. I keep thinking that something has to be better than this 10+ year old solution, but I haven't found it yet....