Disable a single tuner in InfiniTV 4?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
atlupo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disable a single tuner in InfiniTV 4?

Post by atlupo » Fri May 06, 2016 3:53 am

It appears that Tuner #1 of my InfiniTV4 PCIe card has died. Viewing live TV or recording with that tuner gives only very pixelated video. All other tuners appear to be fine. Is there a way to disable Tuner #1 from being used by Windows 7 Media Center for viewing live TV or recording? If I set a recording I don't know which tuner will be used. Sometimes tuner 1 is used and the recording is not watchable, other times one of the other tuners is used and the recording is perfectly fine. Just looking for a way to disable tuner #1 so that it is not used at all.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri May 06, 2016 5:10 am

Easiest way I think is to set it as a network bridged tuner as if you are going to share it. When you do that it asks which of the 4 tuners you want to reserve for the local PC instead of making them available to other PCs on the network, so just select the other 3.

Gotchas:

* It will make you redo TV setup.
* The web interface will no longer be at 192.168.200.1. It will grab an IP for it from your router through DHCP. You'll probably want to make this static.
* Who knows what could happen.... you may want to make a backup first.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/Infi ... _Guide.pdf

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 am

If you go through "Set Up TV Signal" in WMC, I think at some point it asks you what tuners you want WMC to use. But don't quote me on that.

Here is a video that shows "Set Up TV Signal" asking what tuners you want to use, you have to tell it you want to configure manually to get this screen.

https://youtu.be/XDKzYvw35cM?t=231

I have no experience with this (I just had WMC set up all my tuners without going to the manual setup pages), so you may want to verify this before doing anything. Also, you may want to make a system image before making any changes, just in case.

Also, here are the side-affects of running "Set Up TV Signal":
Side-affects are that "Favorites" lists are wiped out, all channels will be enabled (you will have to Disable any channels you don't want listed in the guide (Foreign language, not subscribed, etc.)), and tuner priority for each channel is reset to default.

EDIT: Note that you can also "Edit Sources" on each channel and uncheck the tuner you don't want to use, but depending on how many channels you have, that can be a long, tedious process. I am not sure if any of the utilities (such as "Guide Tool") have the ability to remove a tuner from multiple channels at once.

atlupo

Post by atlupo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions. I chose to use the WMC "TV setup" method.

I also was itching to do a complete OS reinstall and this was the excuse to get it done. Other issues had cropped up over the last year or so like the ROVI guide switchover which resulted in very sluggish guide response. After OS reinstall (which cleared up the guide problem!), during the TV setup you can "manually" choose which tuners to have WMC use. And I just selected 2, 3, & 4. Now all recordings and live TV are fine - I just have only 3 tuners to work with.

I'm still going back and forth with Ceton tech support to see if we can identify what happened to tuner # 1. Initially, they were blaming software and WMC setup but after OS reinstall I ain't buying that - seems to me only reasonable explanation is hardware related at this point.

STC

Post by STC » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 pm

ITV6 ETH here with five of six tuners used on our HTPC. The sixth as an unallocated spare for occasional use on other machines / testing etc.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

john321

Post by john321 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 am

Hi, STC,

I think that the post by "Space" nailed it. I don't see how your post added anything to the conversation.

Ummm...

Who are you? And why does your post matter? I'm sorry if you are someone "important", but it seems to me that the most important thing on this site is to help users solve their problems. Self-importance is NOT the reason for the existence of this site.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Thu May 12, 2016 2:55 am

john321 wrote:Hi, STC,

I think that the post by "Space" nailed it. I don't see how your post added anything to the conversation.

Ummm...

Who are you? And why does your post matter? I'm sorry if you are someone "important", but it seems to me that the most important thing on this site is to help users solve their problems. Self-importance is NOT the reason for the existence of this site.
Dude...

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 12, 2016 4:01 am

My point was something you clearly missed and that is you can have less tuners running than the device presents to WMC.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 12, 2016 5:58 pm

STC wrote:ITV6 ETH here with five of six tuners used on our HTPC. The sixth as an unallocated spare for occasional use on other machines / testing etc.
I do the same with my ITV PCI one... I did the TV setup thing as well as tuner sharing HACK for the PCI-e
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012