Server 2016 Hyper-V Device Assignment (PCI Passthrough)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Klownicle

HTPC Specs: Show details

Server 2016 Hyper-V Device Assignment (PCI Passthrough)

Post by Klownicle » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:48 am

For those that may not be aware, Microsoft Server 2016 Preview 4 has announced the ability finally to do PCI pass-through of those devices in Hyper-V. VMWare ESX has had these capabilities for sometime so needless-to-say I was quite excited to try it out to finally make the Hyper jump. I've been running my Ceton InfiniTV 4 pass-through to a guest OS on ESX for sometime to create my home tuner network (bridged as we all know it to be). Although very happy with the ESX results, its always fun to try something new. Sadly however...

The Ceton InfiniTV 4 does not support pass-through on the newly announced Server 2016 Preview 4. Worked through a lab setup and some TechNet articles and unfortunately doesn't look like Microsoft will be allowing (capable?) this type device with pass-through PCIExpress. Per some documentation it is stated that the device is a "Old style PCI device, switch port, etc. Not assignable." When you attempt to dismount prior to assignment, you get an error "The specified device is not a PCI express device." You have the option to force it, but returns an error, "Unable to load virtualization driver (pcip.sys)... etc". Through a public PowerShell on TechNet the first details above are mentioned by scanning the Host OS and returns the "Old style PCI device" message.

I run ESXi 5.5 without issue with the Ceton InfiniTV 4. I wonder if the Ceton 6 is any different than this? I've never felt compelled to upgrade to the 6, so I imagine it will be quite sometime before I upgrade.