Ceton InfiniTV4 Windows 8 Network Tuner Setup Guide

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
vloeibaarglas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV4 Windows 8 Network Tuner Setup Guide

Post by vloeibaarglas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 am

I’m tired of Ceton telling us that Network Tuner won’t be supported by Windows 8, tired of individuals claiming that Network Tuners work on Windows 8 but never giving any details. Here is a guide to get Network Tuner to work on a Windows 8 Host and a Windows 8 Client.

Both PC
1. Download and install the following driver (Ceton InfiniTV Installer (1.5.4304.06-20111017) for Windows 7: http://www.cetoncorp.com/firmware/ceton ... 304_06.exe) to both Windows 8 PC. I can’t guarantee that other drivers will work. Windows 8 beta drivers don’t work

Host PC (This part lifted from http://www.missingremote.com/guide/ceto ... ltiple-pcs)
2. My Computer -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Ceton InfiniTV Network Device -> Right Click Properties -> Advanced -> Support Bridging -> Yes
3. Open InfiniTV device page via the diagnostic tool or go to 192.168.200.1
4. System -> Network Settings -> Uncheck Automatic Default IP Settings (DHCP Server).
5. Set a static IP that works for your network. You should check your router to make sure that you assign an IP that is not in use. For example, most routers will assign network devices IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.XXX. If you assign let’s say 192.168.1.101, you will eventually access the InfiniTV device page via that IP address.
6. Network Connections -> Select both InfiniTV and your networking card -> Right click Bridge Connection
7. Test to make sure you can access your device page using the static IP you assigned with both computers.

Client PC
8. Start Windows Media Center -> Ceton InfiniTV -> Network Tuners -> Reset to Factory Defaults
9. Setup TV Signal through Windows Media Center via the Settings -> Setup TV Signal NOT Network Tuner menu. Select the tuners you want to use on this PC.

Host PC
10. Setup TV Signal through Windows Media Center. Select the tuners you want to use on this PC, ie the ones you didn’t select in step 9.

So Ceton reps on this forum, how come Windows 8 Network Tuner is not officially supported?

Klownicle

Post by Klownicle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Nice, I've been trying to spread the word how I did it myself, and just haven't got around to a guide yet. But this is exactly how. Its political that ceton isn't supporting windows 8 network tuners. Because it IS FULLY supported as you can see with this guide and my own results.

Little added note to the host; I myself use the ceton pcie in an esxi server so my host doesn't have any tuners selected during the wizard. I just simply didn't select any and then I have 4 pcs using the host, you just obviously remember what tuner goes to get pc so you don't select the same tuner for more than one pc.

eh?

Post by eh? » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I have tried this with two different pcs and have not gotten it to work. Once I bridge the connections I can no longer acesss the infinitv with the new ip address nor can I get on the network. I might be doing something wrong but I've tried this many times. What firmware are you guys using?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm

eh? wrote:Has anyone else gotten this to work? I have tried this with two different pcs and have not gotten it to work. Once I bridge the connections I can no longer acesss the infinitv with the new ip address nor can I get on the network. I might be doing something wrong but I've tried this many times. What firmware are you guys using?
Are you saying it fails when you get to step 7?

What IP address does you PC have before you start making the changes, and what IP address are you assigning to the InfiniTV?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I think you guys are not understanding what it means when a company says a piece of hardware is not officially supported.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Read: you're on your own as far as support goes.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I think you guys are not understanding what it means when a company says a piece of hardware is not officially supported.
It means you can't expect the company to help when you encounter a problem.

It doesn't mean that it doesn't work. A company usually doesn't bother making a statement about not officially supporting something that doesn't work - they just say that it doesn't work.

eh?

Post by eh? » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 am

foxwood wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:I think you guys are not understanding what it means when a company says a piece of hardware is not officially supported.
It means you can't expect the company to help when you encounter a problem.

It doesn't mean that it doesn't work. A company usually doesn't bother making a statement about not officially supporting something that doesn't work - they just say that it doesn't work.
Thanks foxwood for understanding.
Yes it is failing at step 7. After Bridging connections, the new microsoft multiplex adapter fails to connect to the network. It does say its connected to "unidentified network" but I don't see the computer when I'm logged into the router.
The pc IP would be 192.168.1.100 and I've changed it to 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.200.2 with the same result.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:02 am

If the PC is getting an address of x.x.x.100, then it's a fair bet that something else has already been allocated .101 (such as the PC that wants access to the bridged tuner). Try using an address that is outside the DHCP pool, such as .51.

The first 3 octets must be the same as the address that worked, so 192.168.1.51 for the infinitv.

eh?

Post by eh? » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 am

I don't know but it must be my particular w8 set up- it just doesn't work. I logged into my router and found which ip's were taken and tried to use the open ones with the infinitv but nothing worked. It's like the ip won't "take" , if I try to open the ceton diag tool it won't find the infinitv either.
Just for kicks I have an older installation of windows 7 on my storage drive, I tried the network tuner setup and it works fine.
I guess I'll be downgrading to w7 :(

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:47 pm

I currently am doing similar from a WHS 2011 server to Windows 8 clients. I was wondering though if anyone has had success doing so (despite the fact that it's unsupported still) with Windows Server 2012 as a host. I have a valid license for Server 2012, and with the news that in R2 you'll be able to add the "Essentials" role to that, it has me considering upgrading to it. However, it's not something I can do if the Ceton won't work that way.

Scaramda

Post by Scaramda » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:14 pm

The above works except I had to put the DNS server in

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:46 pm

I spent last weekend trying out Server 2012 r2, and was able to confirm that setting up Network Tuners worked in that. I was having non-Ceton-related issues (mostly that DriveBender kept crashing on me) that made me revert to WHS2011, but the Ceton infiniTV 4 continued to work great over the network that way.

Also, probably worth noting that Server 2012 r2 (even in the Essentials version) does not have any WMC plugin, so you'll have to come up with another way to move content from the local recordings on the HTPC to the server.

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Every time my server restarts I have to go through all of the Media Center processes (on both the server and client machines) all over again. Does anyone else have this issue and if so how do I prevent it?

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Never mind, it appears I am just too impatient when restarting. It takes a little time for the tuners to be recognized again. Sorry for the clutter.

jjwalker2

Post by jjwalker2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:15 pm

In step 5:
5. Set a static IP that works for your network
This is setting the static IP in the Ceton InfiiTV device settings page? When changing mine doesn't seem to stick. After bridging the networks I try to access the device page with the new static IP and it doesn't get there it does if I put the default IP 192.168.200.1 in the URL.

jjwalker2

Post by jjwalker2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 pm

I'm having issues getting this to work. I think it is a problem with the network bridging. Can anyone help me troubleshoot?