Low Signal/Low SNR with Ceton InfiniTV Tuner

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cucamelsmd15

HTPC Specs: Show details

Low Signal/Low SNR with Ceton InfiniTV Tuner

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi All,

Ive had a recurring problem for the past 8 months with my SubExpireTime not refreshing itself like its supposed to. Ive worked with Time Warner in NC on this for quite a while. As of the last 6-8 weeks, Ive had an issue with low signal and low signal/noise ratio. So far, Ive had:
1. New tap from the street to the house
2. New splitter (I only have one to split to the HTPC and the cable modem)
3. A test pull from the box outside to the HTPC
4. An amplifier
5. A separate M-Card based device to test

What I seem to have discovered is that the signal coming to the HTPC and tuning adapter are good. The in-wall line and the test pull both reported good signal and high signal/noise numbers. This is where it gets interesting. If I plugged either of those lines into the Ceton card, I got signals in the -30 to -20 dbmv range, and SNR that jumped from 7 to 25. i.e. nothing usable. Plugging into the tuning adapter showed -1dmbv signal and 38db signal to noise. An additional M-Card device backed up those findings, as did a TWC based box.

Are these symptoms of a bad Ceton card? Looking back, Ive had repeated weak TV signal warnings for months before it went to being completely unusable lately. I realize the Ceton splits four ways, but that should be -7dbmv, not -30dbmv. For reference, I didnt have to use an amplifier when it was first installed, but now and amplifier only gets signal levels into the lower -20s, still not good enough to be usable.

Ive opened a dialogue with Ceton following the recommendation of TWCs cable card desk. They believe the Ceton card is the cause of my issues, not their system, and as much as I hate to say it, Im inclined to agree...

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 am

I used to have a lot of trouble with this as well. One thing I did that kind of worked is using an old VCR between the last outlet and the Ceton. I read that it acts similar to a low pass filter. This worked in one location. When I moved my HTPC, I tried something different. This time I slightly loosend the coax connection at first splitter in the house. I first changed the splitter and got more channels and a more normal signal, but still was missing a few channels. Just from watching the signal change, as I screwed the coax in, I noticed there was a peak point where the signal was almost perfect as I screwed the coax into the splitter, so I left it there. I know its weird, but everytime I have a signal issue I go back to this exercise and it seems to work, even without the VCR.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

I can't stress enough, the Ceton diagnostics and the people at Ceton are superb. Don't tear your hair out for months trying to deduce the problem by observation; let Ceton help. You've done the right thing by opening a ticket with Ceton.

If it comes down to "cableco box works but Ceton card doesn't," that's a no-brainer. Let Ceton help.

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:42 am

adam1991 wrote:I can't stress enough, the Ceton diagnostics and the people at Ceton are superb. Don't tear your hair out for months trying to deduce the problem by observation; let Ceton help. You've done the right thing by opening a ticket with Ceton.

If it comes down to "cableco box works but Ceton card doesn't," that's a no-brainer. Let Ceton help.
Well, I waited for months because TWC kept saying it was their issue. Maybe it wasnt.

I havent heard back from Ceton yet, but hopefully something today since I essentially dont have a functioning setup at this point.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm

What's great is, even if the cableco says "it's our fault" the Ceton diagnostics and the people at Ceton can do a superb job of pinpointing exactly *what* the problem is.

Even better, Ceton has been known to contact the cableco to tell them what's wrong. Ceton is doing this out of self defense, of course, because they know you're caught in the middle with incompetent cableco employees who can't find a network cable with both hands unless someone is helping.

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:02 pm

adam1991 wrote:What's great is, even if the cableco says "it's our fault" the Ceton diagnostics and the people at Ceton can do a superb job of pinpointing exactly *what* the problem is.

Even better, Ceton has been known to contact the cableco to tell them what's wrong. Ceton is doing this out of self defense, of course, because they know you're caught in the middle with incompetent cableco employees who can't find a network cable with both hands unless someone is helping.
I hope thats the case. I havent heard anything from the Ceton camp since Saturday though.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm

cucamelsmd15 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:What's great is, even if the cableco says "it's our fault" the Ceton diagnostics and the people at Ceton can do a superb job of pinpointing exactly *what* the problem is.

I hope thats the case. I havent heard anything from the Ceton camp since Saturday though.
Typically issues like this one are a billing system issue. I'm a bit backed up on reaching out to the MSOs for various customers (I've been having *ahem* a bit too much fun at Defcon this weekend) but please let me know if you don't get a response by Tuesday AM.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 pm

erkotz wrote:
Typically issues like this one are a billing system issue. I'm a bit backed up on reaching out to the MSOs for various customers (I've been having *ahem* a bit too much fun at Defcon this weekend) but please let me know if you don't get a response by Tuesday AM.
I wish this were as simple as a billing system issue. :(

The SubExpireTime ping may be related to their billing system (although the CC desk has assured me its not), but the low signal and signal/noise doesnt really have an explanation when other devices work fine.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:18 pm

cucamelsmd15 wrote:
erkotz wrote:

The SubExpireTime ping may be related to their billing system (although the CC desk has assured me its not), but the low signal and signal/noise doesnt really have an explanation when other devices work fine.
Just to clarify, only SubExpireTime wold be the billing system. You aren't by chance in Charlotte, are you?

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 pm

erkotz wrote:
cucamelsmd15 wrote:
erkotz wrote:

Just to clarify, only SubExpireTime wold be the billing system. You aren't by chance in Charlotte, are you?
I'm not, I'm in the Raleigh market. Do you have an email address I could contact you at? I can give all the details of the SubExpireTime issue, since it looks like it may be a separate one now. Feel free to PM me. :)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Do you have a ticket open? I'd rather look through that first. Thanks!

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 am

erkotz wrote:Do you have a ticket open? I'd rather look through that first. Thanks!
Sure do, Ill PM you the number.

cucamelsmd15

Post by cucamelsmd15 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:22 am

Well, after having a week of a perfectly functioning tuner, the issue is back as of tonight. :( What are the chances of two bad tuners in a row?