Premium Channels Copy Protected After Upgrade

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
radagast

HTPC Specs: Show details

Premium Channels Copy Protected After Upgrade

Post by radagast » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I had a HTPC running Win7 ultimate x 64 media center with a Ceton Infinitv tuner using a cablecard from Comcast. I noticed that about maybe half of the movies I recorded from Comcast's HD premium channels like Encore, HBO, and Showtime were not flagged as protected. That was great, since I could edit out the pre and post padding and reformat the movies so my WDTV could play them.

About two weeks ago, I upgraded my HTPC to a substantially more energy efficient computer. All computer hardware was new, except for the Ceton tuner and it's cablecard. Since my upgrade, I have yet to record a premium channel movie that is not protected. Has anyone with Comcast cable noticed a recent change to where ALL premium channel movies are now protected where they were not before, or did I have some sort of unique setup that incorrectly flagged movies as not protected (which I ruined with the upgrade)?

Did I kill my golden goose?

Thanks for any feedback!

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:11 pm

I thought I read recently that Verizon was going to start protecting HBO, but don't recall any Comcast news. I thought Comcast was already protecting everything. As for me, I am TWC and the only thing not protected very annoyingly is Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS.
Greg

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Your hardware upgrade had nothing to do with the copy protection flags. Yes, Verizon recently notified customers that they will start using the copy-once flag on some premium channels such as HBO.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct