CableCard broke?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
killbit

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard broke?

Post by killbit » Sun May 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Setup
Ceton pci 4 tuner card
FiosTV (Frontier) - Based in Kirkland, Washington.
The FiosTV coax cable is going through the frontier Wireless router then connecting to the Ceton card.

Issue
So on Sat Frontier came out and installed FiosTV for me which I'm putting through a Ceton 4 tuner PCI card. However, when I went to pair the cablecard I have 2 error message (red stop signs) in the diag tool

"6: CableCARD not recieved validation signal yet"
"8: CableCARD has not recieved channel liting yet"

I've called up Frontier several times to get them to send the Init/CCV/Refresh they say they have done it each time. They have also de-provisioned the card and provisioned it several time. All still resulting in the same issues as above.

I'm comming to suspect that the CableCARD is dodgy/broke. Before I get another CableCARD, does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun May 20, 2012 10:36 pm

CC's are touchy.. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. It was suggested to me by Mikinho @ Ceton a long time ago that when I had the Cable guy out to have him bring at least 3 cards. They either work and work well or don't work at all.
I would have them come out and bring you a few cards to try until you can get it working. My first card I got didn't work, but the second one did. Glad Mikinho suggested to me to have him bring multiple cards as it saved me having to have the cable guy out multiple times and having to miss a lot of work as well. It sounds like you may have a bad card to me..??
Do you have any aftermarket Firewall/AntiVirus programs installed Symantec etc? If so remove them and try again... Those can cause issues as well with the Ceton tuner as it's a network device.
You can use Microsoft Security Essentials for Antivirus on a HTPC w/o it having negative affects on the Ceton.
HTH,
newfiend~

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 am

I had the same experience. My cable guy came prepared with several CableCARDs because he knew that they often don't work.

killbit

Post by killbit » Mon May 21, 2012 3:39 pm

When the tech came we tested 3 CC (2 from same batch, 1 from an older batch) but the last one (older CC) was the one I'm currently trying to get working. The rest just showed way to many errors and wouldn't pair. I have another CC arriving sometime this week and will test this out

I have MS Security Essentials installed and just windows 7.

I've also logged a ticket with Ceton who is also working with Frontier to get this sorted (Thanks Eric).

killbit

Post by killbit » Thu May 24, 2012 4:42 pm

So after Centon Support working with Frontier, they managed to correctly pair my device.

Just wished that Frontier could have done this without engagement from Ceton. If Ceton didn't have fantastic support I think I would have hit a deadend with Frontier Fios TV support and just returned my card and stopped the TV subscription.

Thnaks to Eric and the reset of Ceton for fixing this up for me.