Moving Ceton to new win 7 machine

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
dan@ntuple.net

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving Ceton to new win 7 machine

Post by dan@ntuple.net » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:18 am

What files do I need to transfer so I do not lose:

1. The history of watched shows so I do not tape reruns of ones I watched

2. The list of shows to record

3. My channel lineup/epg123 setup (ok just being lazy here - it is easy to redo but if I do not have to ...)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 pm

dan@ntuple.net wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:18 am What files do I need to transfer so I do not lose:

2. The list of shows to record

3. My channel lineup/epg123 setup (ok just being lazy here - it is easy to redo but if I do not have to ...)
1. not possible, unfortunately.

2. on the old machine, just click the [Backup] button in the client and copy the resulting zip file to somewhere the new machine can open it. Once you have WMC/EPG123 setup, open the [Transfer Tool] and then open the zip file to transfer your recording requests.

3. You just need the configuration file for epg123 (c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123\epg123.cfg). Copy that to your new machine, same location.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dan@ntuple.net

Post by dan@ntuple.net » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks Gary!

Question on #2 - The backup and transfer you mention are they within epg client?

I made a full image of the old machine (which had a badly corrupted win 7 so I just decided to wipe and rebuild) - is there anyway to accomplish #2 using a partial restore?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:21 pm

dan@ntuple.net wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm Thanks Gary!

Question on #2 - The backup and transfer you mention are they within epg client?

I made a full image of the old machine (which had a badly corrupted win 7 so I just decided to wipe and rebuild) - is there anyway to accomplish #2 using a partial restore?
Yes, within the client. Specifically, it is the recordings.mxf file, within the zip file created by the backup, that the Transfer Tool will use.

If you have already wiped the machine without making the backup, pull the latest file from the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome\mcepgX-Y\backup\recordings folder from your image. You will open that file with the Transfer Tool.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:55 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 pm
dan@ntuple.net wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:18 am ...
1. not possible, unfortunately.
If you only record first-run ("new") episodes of your shows, then just set the option in the Series to "New" and you will be fine, no older episodes will record. Note that in some cases, a program that originally aired in another country, but is "new" in your country will not be marked as new. In this case you will have to use the option "New & Rerun", in which case it may record some shows you already recorded. There is an option in EPG123 that can help with this, but it will only work if the episode is marked as "new" in the source guide even though the OAD is older. In some cases the "new" flag is set, in other cases it may not be (in some cases it may be set for some episodes, but no for others).

If you are trying to record only one copy of each episode of an "old" show (such as "Friends") then you will be out of luck if you lose the history of recorded episodes, and you will just have to look at the upcoming episodes that are marked to record and tell ones that you already watched to "do not record".
If you maintain a separate record of all the episodes you already recorded, you may be able to set up something that, say, only records episodes from "season 5 onward" or something like that, but that requires an external program and may be more trouble then it's worth.