Ceton infiniTV errors

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
verizonguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton infiniTV errors

Post by verizonguy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Hi guys, I need some help.
I'm 52 and recently got a stroke (Jul. 2016) and am having Ceton issues.
I had to reinstall the OS (Win7 Pro) and Norton AntiVirus but cannot go further.
I know there are some steps I'm missing, but I don't remember them.
I know I had to delete or change an entry in Norton Firewall, but what's left to do??

Thanks.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I went and got the CableCard installed and Norton AV installed, and now nothing.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Your original post contains more personal information, than technical information. ;)

First, unless you have no other PC available for general use, running Norton AV on a WMC system will cause more problems than it will solve.
Second, what is the exact error/issue that you are encountering? So you installed the CableCard? Did you call your cable company to pair the card with the tuner? Most (but not all) cable companies require the CableCard ID to be paired with the tuner (Host ID) on the cable system's head end. Once the card is paired with the tuner, you have to install the Ceton tuner software on your computer. Then you run the Digital Cable Advisor in WMC, then run the TV setup wizard.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:51 pm

I did call the cable company, got the card paired with the tuner but that where it stops.
It is like it sees it, but won't show the cable channels

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

You need to provide more information. Did you run the Digital Cable Advisor? Did you run the WMC TV Setup wizard?

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Just a note that we have run Norton Antivirus on our Media center computers since Windows XP and have never had any issue arising from Norton Antivirus. And we use Ceton Infinitv 6 eth.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:25 pm

I am getting the following errors:

CableCard has not received Validation signal.
Please ask your cable company to send a 'CCV' signal to your CableCard.

AND:

Headend has not turned on service to CableCard.
CableCard needs "HIT" or "Refresh" from cable company.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:43 pm

The card is not paired properly or the card is defective. You need to contact your cable company. Sometimes, it may take 2 or 3 calls to find a technician that properly knows how to activate/pair a cable card.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Depending on your cable provider, pairing may or may not be necessary. With Charter Spectrum, it is not (I know because that's what we have.)

Also depending on your provider, you may be able to perform the "hit" or refresh yourself. With Charter Spectrum we can go online and log in, then in the support section of their website we can choose to have a refresh sent to all our devices.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:47 am

I don't know about all the terms and specifics about CabeCards, but I do know that it is possible to view encrypted channels without having the CableCard properly set up to view copy-once channels.

This is why once you think you have the CableCard tuner working, you should tune to a copy-once channel that you subscribe to to make sure it also works. I know that FiOS used to have a copy-once test channel that every lineup subscribed to so that it could be tested, this was when the only copy-once channels were premium ones. Now that there are non-premium copy-once channels that are in every lineup, I think they did away with it.

You may ask, "Why do I care that I can't view copy-once channels if I don't subscribe to any?", well, there are free previews of premium channels all the time. You won't be able to view them if you are not properly set up to view copy-once programming. In fact, some people may just assume that they are not getting the free preview because they can't view them, even though if they were properly set up, they would be able to.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Is there a port supposed to be open?

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Well I called Xfinity, they show an active cablecard.
Xfinity guy said I should have picture, but I don't.
He said that the card I got could be bad and go get another.
This is #2.
I got to both same spot during install -- Xfinity said they look good but no picture.

Any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:45 am

The cablecard device is a one-way (OCUR) device (receive only), so them saying they see an active cablecard does not mean your device is properly setup. I don't have a Ceton card, so I don't know how to look at the diagnostics and can't really help more than that.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks. I know it is stupid to get. I'll be shaking when I hear it. I know it's change something or .... ??

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:59 pm

I stand by my previous post. Either the CableCard is defective or it is not paired properly on the head end. Yes, sometimes to have to go through several cards and several tech support representatives to get it working right.

verizonguy

Post by verizonguy » Fri May 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Well, my TV runs perfectly after I get the Comcast to ID the Host ID and Data ID.
The next day I try TV and get a Service is Unavailable error.
I call Comcast, they ask for Host ID and a new Data ID. Then after 2 mins they're back and it works.

How do you get passed it? Comcast hasn't got a clue...?