MMC iOS Usage Poll

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.

Which device would you install MMC on?

iPhone
86%
iPad
14%
Cydia Impactor
No votes

Total votes: 22

RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

MMC iOS Usage Poll

Post by RyC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

We're at the point where we're thinking about the best way to distribute MMC on iOS.

App Store distribution is not possible since this isn't our app and we don't have the source code.

Enterprise distribution is not possible since Apple has pretty stringent requirements for signing up for an enterprise account, and it costs $300 a year.

This leaves us with two options: Ad-hoc distribution and Cydia Impactor. Unlike Android, it's not possible to sideload iOS apps without a certificate from Apple. This is handled transparently and automatically when you install apps from the App Store.

Cydia Impactor is a tool that generates this certificate and can install the app on a non jailbroken device. It seems the biggest limitation is that the certificate expires every 7 days, requiring you to re-install the app every 7 days using Cydia Impactor. If anyone knows of a way around this, let me know.

Ad-hoc distribution allows for OTA distribution of the app and the certificate is valid for 1 year. The biggest limitation is that we are limited to only 100 iPhones + 100 iPads total that can install the app per developer account (and requires you to provide your device UUID to register to the developer account, but that's easy to do).

TL;DR: If we have less than 100 iPhones + 100 iPads that want to use MMC, then Ad-hoc distribution is the way to go. Please vote in the poll for only one option: if you want to install MMC on an iPhone, iPad, or are willing to use the Cydia Impactor method which will not count towards the 100 + 100 device limit. I would like to have one install only per user until we see how many people want to install MMC.

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:26 pm

RyC wrote:We're at the point where we're thinking about the best way to distribute MMC on iOS.

App Store distribution is not possible since this isn't our app and we don't have the source code.

Enterprise distribution is not possible since Apple has pretty stringent requirements for signing up for an enterprise account, and it costs $300 a year.

This leaves us with two options: Ad-hoc distribution and Cydia Impactor. Unlike Android, it's not possible to sideload iOS apps without a certificate from Apple. This is handled transparently and automatically when you install apps from the App Store.

Cydia Impactor is a tool that generates this certificate and can install the app on a non jailbroken device. It seems the biggest limitation is that the certificate expires every 7 days, requiring you to re-install the app every 7 days using Cydia Impactor. If anyone knows of a way around this, let me know.

Ad-hoc distribution allows for OTA distribution of the app and the certificate is valid for 1 year. The biggest limitation is that we are limited to only 100 iPhones + 100 iPads total that can install the app per developer account (and requires you to provide your device UUID to register to the developer account, but that's easy to do).

TL;DR: If we have less than 100 iPhones + 100 iPads that want to use MMC, then Ad-hoc distribution is the way to go. Please vote in the poll for only one option: if you want to install MMC on an iPhone, iPad, or are willing to use the Cydia Impactor method which will not count towards the 100 + 100 device limit. I would like to have one install only per user until we see how many people want to install MMC.
Voting for 2 users here who would prefer the ad hoc method however we would be thrilled to do either. Thanks for all you have accomplished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsr

Post by gsr » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 pm

I'd prefer to install on both my iPhone AND iPad, but if forced to choose only 1, I would go with the iPhone due to it being more portable.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

gsr wrote:I'd prefer to install on both my iPhone AND iPad, but if forced to choose only 1, I would go with the iPhone due to it being more portable.
Let's see how many people respond to the poll in the next day or so, and if we're under the limit, then we can definitely have more than one device per user.

I do think/hope we will be under the limit on both, but I just want to gauge interest before committing.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 pm

I have a backup copy of the package from my own App Store purchase. I assume this will last forever, in which case I won’t need one of these installs. Just glad to hear others have a solution now.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 am

excited to see that we have a path forward to get the app back!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 am

Is there any intention of making a 32 bit IPA available as well?

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 am

cwinfield wrote:Is there any intention of making a 32 bit IPA available as well?
I believe we’ve got a dump that should work on all iPhones and iPads with iOS 8 and above, 32 and 64 bit!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:09 pm

I voted iPhone for my wife. I keep telling her that android is better but she won't believe me..

Trust iPhone does a lot of things very, very well but when it comes to their walled garden approach I hate them.