MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Shame for any newbs :(
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:39 pm

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has the iOS9 verison .ipa file backed up and would be prepared to share it would contact me. As a licensed user I would be able to reinstall from that. Thanks.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:02 pm

KevinC25 wrote:I would really appreciate it if anyone who has the iOS9 verison .ipa file backed up and would be prepared to share it would contact me. As a licensed user I would be able to reinstall from that. Thanks.
I will perform a full backup of my iPhone to my PC this weekend and see if I'm able to pull the ipa file. I've tried to use third party software to just pull the app by itself but nothing has worked.

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:I would really appreciate it if anyone who has the iOS9 verison .ipa file backed up and would be prepared to share it would contact me. As a licensed user I would be able to reinstall from that. Thanks.
I will perform a full backup of my iPhone to my PC this weekend and see if I'm able to pull the ipa file. I've tried to use third party software to just pull the app by itself but nothing has worked.
Thank you!

hsolo

Post by hsolo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm in the same boat. Reset phone, and lost MMC.
I still have it on an Ipad, but I'm not sure if it would even be compatible with an Iphone.
If anybody figures this out, I would love to know!

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:43 pm

hsolo wrote:I'm in the same boat. Reset phone, and lost MMC.
I still have it on an Ipad, but I'm not sure if it would even be compatible with an Iphone.
Don't know why, but it's the only ipa I don't have... Backing up isn't going to put it on the computer - with App Thinning in iOS 9 it doesn't go "backwards" on to a computer. Although if someone does get it - I'd appreciate a copy too. I did pay for the app as well.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 pm

dkrom wrote:
hsolo wrote:I'm in the same boat. Reset phone, and lost MMC.
Don't know why, but it's the only ipa I don't have... Backing up isn't going to put it on the computer - with App Thinning in iOS 9 it doesn't go "backwards" on to a computer. Although if someone does get it - I'd appreciate a copy too. I did pay for the app as well.
Crap, I forgot about app thinning. Since I downloaded it from my phone then there is a chance it won't be the full app, right?

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:25 am

Just tried a full backup/sync to my PC and none of my apps transferred, presumably because of app thinning. I guess I'm screwed too if I ever have to restore.

rauscherbutton

Post by rauscherbutton » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 am

as of IO9 there is no way to backup apps on devices, just their data! anyone have an IO8 device running newest version of MMC?

bryankennedy2

Post by bryankennedy2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:49 am

I finally got around to seeing if I had the ipa file on my system and, since I don't really understand iTunes, it turns out that I've been downloading copies of all my apps on my pc, not pulling them from the phone. I guess that's a good mistake to make, in this case :)

Anywho...I've posted the most recent My Media Center app (1.4.5, which works with iOS 9) on my Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp3k0r4gi61ub ... 5.ipa?dl=0

My assumption is that this will only work for those who have already purchased the software. If not, I can take it down.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:53 am

Try Amazon Underground

EDIT didn't realize Amazon is Android only.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p104051

Here are couple versions of the host software.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 63#p100463

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:33 pm

bryankennedy2 wrote:I finally got around to seeing if I had the ipa file on my system and, since I don't really understand iTunes, it turns out that I've been downloading copies of all my apps on my PC, not pulling them from the phone. I guess that's a good mistake to make, in this case :)

Anywho...I've posted the most recent My Media Center app (1.4.5, which works with iOS 9) on my Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp3k0r4gi61ub ... 5.ipa?dl=0

My assumption is that this will only work for those who have already purchased the software. If not, I can take it down.
Thanks so much for doing this! I just tried installing. First I putt the file in the right directory and located the file in itunes (add file to library) where it prompted me to overwrite the older ios8 version that was there. However, although I am a licensed owner of the app through my own itunes store account it will not authorize this version of the app on/sync it from my pc because it appears that the file is digitally marked to your itunes account - It says that in order for it to install I would have to authorize my pc with your itunes account details.

I have not given up here so will go back to apple who had implied that all that was needed was the installer file and see if I can get any help from them. Will report back. Anyway, thanks again for this!

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Just as an update, over the past week I have spent significant amounts of time talking to different people at Apple through their chat system. Either I am being completely unclear, or they are completely obtuse. It is impossible to make them understand the issue. For example, they tell me to talk to Ceton but won't explain why. They won't explain who withdrew the app from the system, or why. They claim the app has never been distributed in the US and that I must have bought it in a different country and changed my account (not correct). The list of bizarre suggestions goes on. I am clearly not going to get any further with them, so I fear this is the end unless anyone has any bright ideas.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 pm

The perils of first and second line support. You may as well eat poop.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:45 pm

A couple months back the MMC app was missing from the Google Play Store but still available through amazon. A couple of weeks later it came back on the Play Store and is still there as of this posting. One must wonder why it hasn't been put back into the iTunes Store but I ponder it may be because apple wants money from Ceton to keep it there.

I use Galaxy and my wife uses iPhone. I'm not too familiar with "side loading" apps on an iPhone. If I download this ipa file (same as apk I guess?) and store it on a PC, how do I re-install it on an iPhone if the need arises?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:49 pm

BTW, it is possible to control Media Center with the Emby App and the WMC Server plug in as well.

Also, is something like Media Center Control available in the iTunes store?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Sammy2 wrote: One must wonder why it hasn't been put back into the iTunes Store but I ponder it may be because apple wants money from Ceton to keep it there.
The cost to keep an app in the iTunes store is $99/year. The current sales of MMC is probably not enough to justify renewing the membership and keeping the app in the store; thus it has vanished.

https://developer.apple.com/support/com ... mberships/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Scallica wrote:
Sammy2 wrote: One must wonder why it hasn't been put back into the iTunes Store but I ponder it may be because apple wants money from Ceton to keep it there.
The cost to keep an app in the iTunes store is $99/year. The current sales of MMC is probably not enough to justify renewing the membership and keeping the app in the store; thus it has vanished.

https://developer.apple.com/support/com ... mberships/
BINGO!

OTOH, Google is a one time fee of $25. Another reason I despise apple.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 2435?hl=en

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:00 pm

So.. How do I extract this ipa from her phone and store it for possible future need?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I don't think you can. Such a pity as the IOS version got a revamp recently. Quite a bit of effort from ex Ceton coder Motz who is now employed by MS ironically... I wonder if there is enough demand from new clients and old clients wishing to install on a new devices to make it happen again? Even those desperate enough to throw five bucks in a pot to get it hosted again? Perhaps we should do a poll?
I've just asked Ceton whether they would consider doing this.