2021 MMC on iOS

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
RyC

HTPC Specs: Show details

2021 MMC on iOS

Post by RyC » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:04 am

For previously registered users in 2020: The 2020 app has expired as of March 15, 2021. The app will either crash immediately when opened, or will not open with the message "my MC" Is No Longer Available. First, try going to https://setonsylvan.github.io on your device and tap the Download button. Watch the install progress on the home screen. It should install over the existing installation and leave your settings and data intact. If you receive "Unable to download app", re-send me your UDID (sorry for the inconvenience). I've removed some old UDIDs as people have upgraded phones to stay under the 100 device limit.

Caution: this may be shut down or stop working at any time by Apple, Ceton, or (most likely) a future iOS update that makes the app incompatible in some way

For new users:

Requirements: An iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.0 or later.

What you need to do:
  • Find your device UDID. If you have a device released after late 2018, use a method on this link: https://deciphertools.com/blog/2014_11_ ... hone_udid/
    If you have an earlier device, you can use the above link, or this website: https://betafamily.com/superudid
    If you leave the browser window open on your computer, it will automatically update with your UDID information after you complete the process on your device, so you can easily copy and paste it from your computer. It will install a "profile" on your device to read the UDID, but it will automatically remove itself afterwards.
    If you're not comfortable with this method, use the methods on the first link.
  • PM me the UDID and whether it's an iPhone or iPad. Please do not post it in this topic!
  • Visit the above website after I PM you that your device UDID has been registered (I'll PM you the link as well). Tapping the Install button if your UDID has not been registered will not download the app.
FYI: This is a manual process to update the IPA with UDIDs so it may take a few hours before I'm able to add your UDID. If your device UDID has not been registered yet, the link will not install the app!

FAQs:
  • The app will expire on March 14, 2022. The app will either crash immediately when opened, or will not open with the message "my MC" Is No Longer Available. At that time, if the app is still functional, everyone will have to re-download MMC from the website. It should install over the existing installation and leave your settings and data intact.
  • You will probably get this ""my MC" would like to find and connect to devices on your local network" message upon first run on iOS 14
    IMG_6844.PNG
    You must tap "OK" for the app to be able to connect to your server.

Caveat:
    Hitting OK did not immediately work for me. The app continued to throw a "Unable to connect" error until I went to Settings->Privacy->Local Network and toggled "my MC" off and on again. I force quit the app just for good measure, and then it was able to connect again.
  • As long as your device UDID has already been registered, you can uninstall and re-install MMC from the link provided without having to re-register.
  • The UDID does not change when you update to new versions of iOS, or even when you do an Erase all Content and Settings. However, if you replace your device with a new one, you will need to re-register the new UDID.
  • This is entirely free, and you don't need to include any proof of purchase.
I'm excited that we're able to get this app back on iOS for another year (hopefully)!
Many thanks to Jacoats, DanITman, and bryankennedy2 who did the bulk of the work!

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:56 am

I was able to update the app on my iPad, but it did not update on my iPhone… And when I deleted the app and tried to do a full reinstall, it said installation failed because it could not verify the integrity… Any assistance?

Jacoats

Post by Jacoats » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:15 am

This update worked instantly on my iPhone 8plus. I have yet to try on my iPad. Thanks to RyC for all his hard work in giving us hopefully another year of this very useful app. Cheers! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:34 pm

billmich wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:56 am I was able to update the app on my iPad, but it did not update on my iPhone… And when I deleted the app and tried to do a full reinstall, it said installation failed because it could not verify the integrity… Any assistance?
Sorry about that, if anyone else encounters this, just send me your UDID again!

billmich

Post by billmich » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:30 pm

RyC wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:34 pm
billmich wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:56 am I was able to update the app on my iPad, but it did not update on my iPhone… And when I deleted the app and tried to do a full reinstall, it said installation failed because it could not verify the integrity… Any assistance?
Sorry about that, if anyone else encounters this, just send me your UDID again!
thank you, I have done just that this morning.

and now everything is working correctly!!

Thank you so much for all you do

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:19 pm

RyC: Thanks for your continued work on this app!
Dean L. Surkin

dkm

Post by dkm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:54 am

I originally bought this app when it first came out and have been diligently ensuring it is loaded as I swapped devices throughout the years.

Updated to iOS 14.5 today and now it finally gave up the ghost. Launching the app on my iPhone or iPad simply displays a message that says the devs need to update the app to allow it to run.

Do you have a similar experience with this workaround?

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 am

I've been seeing a lot of apps being updated recently with the explanation of "This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate."

Perhaps this is why this old app no longer runs? Not sure if it's possible to update this app with the latest certificate.

dkm

Post by dkm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:55 pm

That’s why I was curious if the workaround continues to work in iOS 14.5. The method used here is basically a limited install app (think alpha testing, while TestFlight stuff is Beta) signed a different way, so I wasn’t sure if the app just had signature issues (which the workaround may fix) or if the version of Xcode used by this app finally fell past Apple’s minimum cutoff.

I know Motz said the last time he did updates, it was as a favor and he was done. I doubt he’d be open to either releasing the code (since my guess is tracking down appropriate permissions may prove difficult) or tweaking it and re-uploading under a different dev account since Ceton really isn’t around anymore.

billmich

Post by billmich » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 pm

I just updated to 14.5 and my app works fine , but you are right...that day IS coming.

any other smart phone based app out there that can control WMC?

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat May 01, 2021 1:25 pm

billmich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 pm I just updated to 14.5 and my app works fine , but you are right...that day IS coming.

any other smart phone based app out there that can control WMC?
Do you have the version from thegreenbutton that you renew each year? I have the original app and it stopped working on my iPad when I updated to 14.5. If thegreenbutton version works then I will request it. Can anyone else please confirm this too just in case billmich just got lucky?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat May 01, 2021 3:31 pm

billmich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 pmany other smart phone based app out there that can control WMC?
I've been using an app named "Unified Remote" for a few years because its WMC integration is both robust and free. I use it with Android but they also have a version for iPhone.

Homepage -> https://www.unifiedremote.com/

WMC Remote -> https://www.unifiedremote.com/remotes/w ... dia-center

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed May 05, 2021 4:50 am

Sorry, just seeing this now. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone with the App Store MMC has run into the signing certificate problem by now. The method used here shouldn't run into that since the signing certificate needs to be renewed every year (limitation of using the ad hoc method). The day is coming where something will change in iOS that will break the app though

I really wish we could get the original code but that's probably not going to happen

dkm

Post by dkm » Wed May 05, 2021 2:19 pm

RyC wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:50 amThe method used here shouldn't run into that since the signing certificate needs to be renewed every year (limitation of using the ad hoc method).
Thanks for the confirm. I'll be sending my udid over sometime next week.

Farcry1010

Post by Farcry1010 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Who do I PM my UDEID to? Is there someone that can still help us sorry souls who still don’t want to pay for a cable box?

dkm

Post by dkm » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Click on OPs name (RyC) then send private message.

I can confirm this works on the current iOS release, and I had to upgrade from the official app-store version because of the cert expiration. Thanks again, RyC for doing this.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:31 pm

dkm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:29 pm I can confirm this works on the current iOS release, and I had to upgrade from the official app-store version because of the cert expiration.
Ah, thanks. I thought it was finally broken for good. Not just that the original developer cert had expired.
It's a real pain that software which is working perfectly fine gets nobbled by the App Store. I've PM'ed my registration details.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

dkm

Post by dkm » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 pm

I have upgraded to the iOS 15 release and the RyC workaround still works.

billmich

Post by billmich » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:38 pm

how long does the average IOS version last?

dkm

Post by dkm » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Apple historically releases a new major iOS version every year, and sub-versions 4-5 times throughout the year. The wrinkle in 2020/2021 was that in the middle of the iOS 14 release, Apple started actually enforcing app signature certificate guidelines where it used to largely be that apps would stop working due to deprecated functionality.