Hauppauge DCR-2650 Spectrum SDV channels not working

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
kdubbz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge DCR-2650 Spectrum SDV channels not working

Post by kdubbz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 am

Hi, I bought a dcr-2650 a few months ago, set it up with a fresh Cisco STA-1520 tuning adapter and Cisco cable card from charter spectrum. Everything worked well for a month and then all of a sudden when tuning to a SDV Channel, the channel would tune and within 3 seconds or so an error would pop up saying 'channel unavailable please try again later' and the channel would cut out (not exact wording, but along those lines). So I wasn't sure what this problem was and brushed it off for the time being as I didn't use the computer to watch much TV and the non sdv channels were still working fine. I later tried to again watch an SDV Channel and instead of it tuning and then giving an error message, It would say 'No TV Signal' and a box will pop up saying 'Timeout requesting channel, please try again later'. Aggravated, I uninstalled the hauppauge drivers, reinstalled them and re-set up WMC, reset the tuning adapter several times, reinstalled the tuning adapter software, called the spectrum (TWC) cable card hotline and had the signal resent, they say everything looks good on their end. The diagnostic page says the tuning adapter is working and ready, but in the system log I get this message when tuning a SDV channel:

20171213-05:56:56 CableCARD: tr/resolve_tuning_rsp timeout error (cchost_tr_resolve_tuning:34)
20171213-05:56:56 CableCARD: message: Timeout requesting channel. Please try again later.

I Checked the tuning adapter diagnostics and under the Mini carousel page it shows :

MINI CAROUSEL INFO
Def Freq: 675 MHz
Tvp/Tv Id: n/a
Load Time: n/a
Version: 0
Size: 0 bytes
Num Entries: 0
Cache Hits: 0
Cache Misses: 0
Cache Overrides: 0
Load Count: 0
Load Failures: 2
Last Load Err: ReadErr
Err Time: 12/13@00:09:53
Last Load Attempt:

From what I have read from the tuning adapter diag. help PDF, the status should read Status: CacheReady , but is not. The description for what I am getting for status is this:
McpDiscFileRead: client is
reading or waiting to read the BFS
file to obtain a list of SDV QAM
frequencies to scan for mini
carousel data

Then the Switched digital video page shows:

CLIENT
Authorized: Yes
Service Gp: n/a
RF Ip Addr: 10.1.224.236
SDV Channels: 433
SERVER
Time: n/a
Pri Ip-Port: 0.0.0.0-n/a
Sec Ip-Port: 0.0.0.0-n/a
SDV PROTOCOL STATISTICS
SelInd Rx: 0
SelResp Tx: 0
QryReq Rx: 0
QryConf Tx: 0
EvInd Rx: 0

From the PDF manual for the STA-1520 the status should be Ready, I am getting a Pending status. Description says this for Pending:

Pending: the set-top is in the
process of establishing
communications with the SDV
server

Here is the signal levels, which look like they are in spec:

CURRENT FDC
Freq: 74.000 MHz
DAVIC: Connected
Level: 6 dBmV
Seconds: 3774
Corr Bytes: 142
Uncor Blks: 507
Errs Avg/Inst: 0 / 0
Total Bytes: 666781340
S/N: 33 dB
CURRENT QAM
Freq: 675.000 MHz
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Level: 3 dBmV

Spectrum is saying I need support from hauppauge, but It looks like the tuner is working fine, its just the tuning adapter is not doing its job proper. Has anyone seen this? Bad tuning adapter? I am tempted to swap cable card/tuning adapter again to see if this is my issue, if not, I am stuck with no fix. I have tried swapping USB ports, new USB Cables to no avail as well.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:44 am

Several members here have reported better communication between the TA and the Tuner by streamlining the cabling.

1) TA and Tuner share the same source through a 3-way splitter.... eliminates "Timing problems" (same physical source)

2) USB cable connects the TA directly to the Tuner....eliminates USB bottlenecks within the HTPC.
Attachments
TaTunerUSB.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:58 am

This suggestion has nothing to do with the symptoms you experience but does improve the setup.

Cable both Ethernet Cables (HTPC and Tuner) to the same switch. Try not to use the Router as a switch. Normally I use the Router's Switch Ports for WAP's only.
Attachments
ExtenderNetwork001.jpg
ExtenderNetwork002.jpg

kdubbz

Post by kdubbz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 am

Hi, I cant run the USB cable from the TA to the tuner, as the usb from the tuner has to be connected to the PC for communication as it has no ethernet port. I will be able to randomly get channels to work and then I will switch and then the usual happens, channel works for 3 seconds and then give the error, i will switch to another channel and then back then it will work fine... damn this sucks! wish this would just work.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Did you install this http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/s ... -2650.html click the tuning resolver tab. Tuning Adapter updates

WinTV-DCR-2650 Tuning adapter update

Tuning Resolver Service 31064

Install instructions:
•Click to download
•Unzip this file to a directory you will remember
•Uninstall previous version of the Hauppauge Tuning adapter proxy from control Panel "Add/Remove programs.
•Run "TuningResolverService.exe" from Unzip folder.
•Reboot System to start the service.

Notes:
•Includes major updates to the Tuning Adapter driver.
•Updated support for Motorola TA's
•Improved reset detection.

Name: TuningResolverService.zip
Date: March 5, 2013

Tuning adapter reset

HCWe3TAP_enable_abort registry patch

If you are having problems with your tuning adapter, try this registry patch which resets the tuning adapter USB port when the Hauppauge tuning adapter service stops 'hearing' from the tuning adapter. This patch has helped many users of the WinTV-DCR-2650 when their tuning adapter seems to go "off line".

Install instructions:
•Click to download
•Unzip this file to a directory you will remember
•Run the file HCWe3TAP_enable_abort.reg registry patch
•Reboot your PC

Beta driver looks like it is much more recent and has newer TA drivers:
Beta WinTV-DCR-2650 firmware and Windows drivers

WinTV-DCR-2650 ver 35341

Install instructions:
•Click to download
•Unzip this file to a directory you will remember.
•Once unzipped, run 'Setup.exe' from this directory .

Note: this will update the firmware to version 20171206.

Note: this is a complete installer for the WinTV-DCR-2650 including updated Windows drivers and tuning resolver and IR support.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 am

kdubbz wrote:Hi, I cant run the USB cable from the TA to the tuner, as the usb from the tuner has to be connected to the PC for communication as it has no ethernet port..
I forgot the tuner is a USB Tuner, but now that you have reminded me.....try the USB hot fix for Win7, recommended by Ceton

http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... provements

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:43 am

Question for you. Where is the TA's USB connected?

d00mb0yz96

Post by d00mb0yz96 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:10 pm

I made an account to join this conversation.
I just bought one of these DCR-2650 tuners off eBay as Hauppauge is claiming Windows 10 support. Though I am on Windows 10, not willing to use WMC, hopefully NextPVR or WinTV.
The same issue is happening with me after getting my CableCARD and Motorola Tuning Adapter from Spectrum yesterday. I got both activated and is working on their end, the problem like here is the DCR-2650 is not detecting the tuning adapter inside the web console. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, including the TA bugfix driver, still nothing. Doing a channel scan, I do get the DRM channels listed, but it's missing a couple like FXX, TCM, and the Disney Channel (I have those channels in my current cable subscription). Trying to log on to those DRM channels give me nothing. Any fix? I have my TA connected to my USB hub.