Best tuner for UK freesat?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
kennyken

HTPC Specs: Show details

Best tuner for UK freesat?

Post by kennyken » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 am

As titled I've just got my first home and I have a satellite dish. May retire my terratec dvbt for Freesat? Any recommendations on a tuner for this preferably HD as my screen/monitor is 4k. Thanks. Ken.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm

I've always had good experiences with the tuners from TBS to be honest.

I had the 6981 for years (it died in an unfortunate coffee related incident), then I went to the 6982 and I also have the 6985.

I also use the 6280 for Freeview and that's been great too.

Obviously the stability of your setup can depend on motherboard manufacturer / the particular PCIe revision it has etc.

Anybody else have any other thoughts?

A network s2 tuner from Silicondust would have been great...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Yes I've got a couple of TBS ones on watch I think that's what I'll go for.

My setup is quite old (P5W DH Deluxe) so is there a stability concern?

I'm not drinking coffee often :mrgreen:

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:35 am

The only issues that I've ever encountered have involved tuners sometimes disappearing when waking from s3 / s4 sleep. I think that this can be to do with the PCIe revision that the motherboard uses.

There are workarounds if you do see this issue - and it isn't an issue at all if you leave the machine on 24/7.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:35 pm

holidayboy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:35 am The only issues that I've ever encountered have involved tuners sometimes disappearing when waking from s3 / s4 sleep. I think that this can be to do with the PCIe revision that the motherboard uses.
I had this problem with a TBS 6284 DVB-T/T2 quad-tuner PCI-E card on wake from sleep. It worked correctly in one of the PCI-E slots in my Dell motherboard, but failed in the other two PCI-E slots. However...

I discovered eventually that all of the slots worked correctly with the TBS 6284 card on wake from hibernation. This was important as I wanted to use two TBS 6284 cards ( :o ). I guess that wake from hibernation resets more "stuff" than wake from sleep does.

Hibernation is quite difficult to get working in a usable fashion for an HTPC, and I use a very complicated setup (requires both additional hardware and additional software).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Disappearing tuners is something I've experienced with my cinergy2400i and my avermedia pcie x mini card within the envy23. Typically have to remove the hardware to resolve the issue.

Well I'll look into TBS ideally just a dual DVB-S so I can record at the same time. The dish is a sky twin LNB so it should be okay for this...