Backup & Restore Channel Lineup

KungFuKid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Backup & Restore Channel Lineup

Post by KungFuKid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:09 am

Hi,

I am trying to restore my channel lineup from my old PC to the new one but not having much luck. I have tried mcebackup 3 - does not do anything, and Sean's WMC backup which runs but does not restore my channels. I have tried restoring before running the WMC setup and after but with the same results, is there a certain point that I run the restore at?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:11 am

Have you seen Sean's Support thread?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=1508

Does Cleanup Tuner Remnants do anything for you?

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi Crash2009,

Thanks for the link. I have reset media center using Seans software and rerun media center setup and restored but have ended up with duplicate channels which is a step in the right direction! I was hoping I could just import and the channels would be exactly like the old PC.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:35 pm

I've never used this software, but it sounds like clearing tuner remnants erases the duplicates. Is it possible you have duplicates in the source?

Or, maybe you need an updated version of the software? Looks like the software was originally for restoring to a fresh install, and clearing tuner remnants was added later. There is a disclaimer that it may not work for everyone.

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup

I copied this from the link:

The restore option was only available on a fresh install of Windows. The idea was to prevent you from loading a duplicate schedule/lineup and have double entries in your guide.

However I have just added a "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" option, this will allow you to clear any leftover Tuner data that is preventing you from restoring in the App. This will not affect your live Media Center setup. If you use this option while an existing schedule/lineup is defined within Media Center, and then restore, it will be added to the existing data. (causing duplicates if its the same Tuner info).

If you run "Cleanup Tuner Remnants" and you still have Tuner info configured within media center. Running a Media Center update will restore the Tuner remnants.

Also I have updated the Media Center Factory Reset option, it now will cleanup the remnant files as well..

Keep in mind, anything that kicks off MCupdate, will take a moment for it to complete. If you re-run the backup app too quickly, it may not show the most up to date info. Rerun the app after media center update has finised. (10-20 secs or so should cover it in most cases).

I ran a test:
Backup schedule
Backup lineup
Media Center Factory Reset Option (v1.5 also cleans up remnants to allow immediate restore capability).
Restore schedule
Restore lineup
Test OK'

Reply · · February 8, 2013 at 8:32pm

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for that. I will try running the clear option later, Christmas shopping at the moment :-/, if that does the trick I will be a happy man! I will post the results. For now, thank you very much for the help.

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

So I have managed to restore my channels and remove the duplicates, however, I now get this error: Viewing or listening conflict. No tuner available to satisfy the current request. If I then try to do anything regarding the TV settings, Media Centre just crashes.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 am

If you are using an internal tuner, sometimes they need a "Cold boot" to straighten them out. One very confusing time I was having, I even shut down, removed the tuner, rebooted, shutdown, then put the tuner back in.

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:29 pm

No luck I'm afraid. I think I am going to start from scratch. Thanks for your help Crash2009

STC

Post by STC » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:44 pm

For lineup backup and restore alone Guidetool works 100% you have to purchase to be able to backup but it is minimal cost.

Perhaps I am too late apologies.

Even so, starting from scratch, Guidetool free version is an excellent way of adjusting your lineup easily and quickly.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123