Playing recorded TV from a NAS through an Extender

Anubi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playing recorded TV from a NAS through an Extender

Post by Anubi » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 am

I just finished converting my HTPC from an old desktop to an Intel NUC. I have everything setup and working with the exception of playing recorded tv from my NAS through my Media Center Extender. This worked on my previous system, and I didn't change the extender or the NAS so it should be possible. I have a Task Scheduler task that automatically copies my Recorded TV to my NAS. From my media center PC the recorded TV on the NAS plays back fine. From the extender recorded tv that has not been copied to the NAS but is still on the media center PC plays back fine. If I try to play Recorded TV on the NAS throuh the extender I get an error "Application Failure - A critical Windows Media Center process has failed."

I have found other post indicating this is probably a permission issue, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I have tried adding the NAS into the Recorded TV library several different ways, directly from Explorer, from MCE by browseing, from MCE by adding Manually and typing in the path. I have tried entering the User/Pass information into the MCE interface when manually adding the path, and tried leaving it blank. I tried deleting the User account information from my NAS and resetting it up in the NAS and on the MCE PC as well.

Any ideas?

WScottCross

Post by WScottCross » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 pm

The extender uses a different user account and Remote Desktop Protocol so I agree that it's probably a permission issue. I do the same thing with my WHS, but I opened up permissions on the recorded TV share for all users and I don't have those problems.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I have used this in the past with an old NAS that was super picky about user account access:
http://tobias-tobin.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ss-to.html

Or if your NAS allows just open up permissions on that folder.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:33 pm

That tool fixed the exact same issue I had when trying to watch on extenders from a NAS, give it a try!

Anubi

Post by Anubi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:56 am

Gave that tool a try and it fixed it! Understanding how that tool works I can't figure out how I was able to watch content from my NAS on my previous HTPC build since I never set up any permissions like that. But I'm glad it works again.

Thanks guys.