Fast Forward and Playback issues

mrfengsheng

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fast Forward and Playback issues

Post by mrfengsheng » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I have two issues I have been trying to fix, hopefully you guys can help me. I just had to switch from XBMC to WMC because I want to watch my ripped blurays and record tv (Infinitv4), and although I am missing XBMC, i know WMC is my only option if I want 1 program to manage both.

1. When fast forwarding a recording at 1.5 speed, I hear the sound speeded up as well. I would like to disable that.

2. When I am in a recording, having it playing or paused, selecting restart (from beginning) does nothing. It just goes back to the recording. If I stop the recording I can select restart from beginning and it works.

I am happy with the PVR features of WMC, but I do not like the lack of customization of it. I used it years ago, and used a program (media studio) to customize the menu, but their website is down, and i doubt the program will work in win8 WMC

Thank you in advance

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:44 pm

#1 - The default speed when you press the FFWD button once is 1.4x normal speed. The speed can be adjusted in the registry. If it is set to anything other than 1.4, you will not get the pitch-corrected audio during FFWD-1. The settings for fast forward speed do not exist, by default, in the registry. So, you have to create some new keys and string values. Here's how:

Open the registry editor, and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoConstants. If you do not see a key named FastForwardRates, then you need to create the key. Now, browse into the FastForwardRates key, and create three new string values named...
"0"
"1"
"2"

The "0" string controls the first fast forward rate, "1" controls the 2nd fast forward rate, and "2" controls the 3rd fast forward rate. Their default values are 1.4, 10, and 100. If you change the "0" string to contain a value of 1.5, for example, you will no longer hear the audio when you press FFWD one time.

There are also settings for the fast-rewind settings. For more information on these and other "trick play" settings, see here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7e718e4e68

#2 - If you want to skip directly to the beginning of the recording while watching, or paused... simply press the 0 button on the remote, followed by PLAY. You must do this fairly quickly, or Media Center will assume that you want to change channels to channel 0.

This is one of the trick play features of Media Center. There are others. Here are some examples:

Press 15,PLAY while watching a recording, and it will skip directly to the 15-minute mark in the recording.

Press 830,PLAY while watching Live TV (assuming that you have been tuned to the same channel since 8:30, and your pause buffer is big enough to go back that far), and it will skip directly to 8:30 in the time line.

Press 5,SKIP-FORWARD and it will skip forward five times the forward skip interval (default 29 seconds).

Press 5,SKIP-BACKWARD and it will skip backward five times the reverse skip interval (default 7 seconds).

Press 130,FFWD and it will skip 1 minute, 30 seconds forward. The same thing works for rewind.

There are many others. Some keys even do special things if you press and hold them. Try them out!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 pm

I forgot to mention that the registry settings mentioned above only affect the TV that is connected directly to the PC. Extenders have their own registry hives (per MCX user), and those can also be edited. However, not all of the settings work to change the behavior of extenders. I can't remember which ones work and don't work off the top of my head.

However, I know for a fact that the closed caption settings can be changed on the extenders. I have all of mine set to yellow text with a black outline and a transparent background (no black box!).

eclas

Post by eclas » Tue May 10, 2022 11:55 pm

I have a win 8.1 system that works just as you describe. I also have a win7 pro machine that I can't get to fast forward or reverse. I tried all your tips but to no avail.
I was able to get the skip forward and backward working the way I want but can't seem to get the fast forward working.
I added the 'VideoConstants' item to the registry and also added the 'fastforwardrates key. then added the string '0' and modified the data to 10 just to see. That didn't do anything.
Any ideas on what to look for?

barnabas1969 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:44 pm #1 - The default speed when you press the FFWD button once is 1.4x normal speed. The speed can be adjusted in the registry. If it is set to anything other than 1.4, you will not get the pitch-corrected audio during FFWD-1. The settings for fast forward speed do not exist, by default, in the registry. So, you have to create some new keys and string values. Here's how:

Open the registry editor, and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoConstants. If you do not see a key named FastForwardRates, then you need to create the key. Now, browse into the FastForwardRates key, and create three new string values named...
"0"
"1"
"2"

The "0" string controls the first fast forward rate, "1" controls the 2nd fast forward rate, and "2" controls the 3rd fast forward rate. Their default values are 1.4, 10, and 100. If you change the "0" string to contain a value of 1.5, for example, you will no longer hear the audio when you press FFWD one time.

There are also settings for the fast-rewind settings. For more information on these and other "trick play" settings, see here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7e718e4e68

#2 - If you want to skip directly to the beginning of the recording while watching, or paused... simply press the 0 button on the remote, followed by PLAY. You must do this fairly quickly, or Media Center will assume that you want to change channels to channel 0.

This is one of the trick play features of Media Center. There are others. Here are some examples:

Press 15,PLAY while watching a recording, and it will skip directly to the 15-minute mark in the recording.

Press 830,PLAY while watching Live TV (assuming that you have been tuned to the same channel since 8:30, and your pause buffer is big enough to go back that far), and it will skip directly to 8:30 in the time line.

Press 5,SKIP-FORWARD and it will skip forward five times the forward skip interval (default 29 seconds).

Press 5,SKIP-BACKWARD and it will skip backward five times the reverse skip interval (default 7 seconds).

Press 130,FFWD and it will skip 1 minute, 30 seconds forward. The same thing works for rewind.

There are many others. Some keys even do special things if you press and hold them. Try them out!