Issues with using NAS for recorded TV

ahwman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issues with using NAS for recorded TV

Post by ahwman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:04 am

Currently my recorded TV is saved on an internal HD. I am considering moving my recorded TV using Robocopy to my NAS (Apple Time Capsule 2TB). However, after doing some testing and manually moving over some recorded content to my Time Capsule, then adding that location to WMC Media Libraries, I've noticed a few issues:

• If the Time Capsule (NAS) sleeps, the content doesn't show up in WMC (SOLVED)
• Thumbnail's do not appear for these recordings (SOLVED)
• If I try to play these recordings through an extender, I get an application error

Has anyone solved these issues?
Last edited by ahwman on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 am

You need to change the WMC scheduling service to run under your local/admin account to get thumbnails back.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:45 am

RyC wrote:You need to change the WMC scheduling service to run under your local/admin account to get thumbnails back.
That did the trick! Thank you...

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:34 am

No problem! I was suffering from no thumbnails for a few months until I found the fix...it gets real annoying real fast

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm

ahwman wrote:• If I try to play these recordings through an extender, I get an application error
The Extender Session is running under a different userID, and that UserID often doesn't have the necessary permissions to access the NAS.

I believe there's a way to add a startup script to the Extender user profile that will map the NAS drives to specific drive letters, and then you can just specify the necessary drive letters in the Extnders Media Libraries, but I don't have the details to hand.

harperhometheater

Post by harperhometheater » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:33 am

Was this ever rectified? I'm thinking of using an Apple Time Capsule 3TB as my storage and router solution for WMC in windows 7 64bit for recorded TV.

rlg6767

Post by rlg6767 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 am

The extender issue accessing the NAS can be is solved using the following:
tobias-tobin.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/giving-media-center-extender-access-to.html

With respect to saving to NAS from WMC I tried to get this working using a guide I found that involved registry tweaks but it wouldn't work.

I believe another method I read about involved creating a virtual HDD on your PC which points to your NAS.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 pm

ahwman wrote:
RyC wrote:You need to change the WMC scheduling service to run under your local/admin account to get thumbnails back.
That did the trick! Thank you...
Plan to try this tonight... Hoping it solves a long standing complaint in our house!

Thanks!

chrissmith5

Post by chrissmith5 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:35 am

Sorry to resurrect a very dead chain, but...
My WMC box is getting long in the tooth, and I took my first baby step to get a Synology NAS that I plan to install/try Plex & Emby.
Short term I want to use the NAS to store Recorded TV and recover some space on the Win 7 Ceton box.
I moved some files over and pointed the WMC media library at the NAS, the files show up but, the thumbnails are blank (blue square) like this post.
I poked around in task manager, but don't know exactly what service this post is referring to.

What exact scheduler service needs to be run as Admin?

Regards,
Chris

grittree

Post by grittree » Mon May 09, 2022 2:53 pm

I think ehsched.exe process is the one.