Can't seem to add 2nd Tuner after Re-Install

DrBri99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't seem to add 2nd Tuner after Re-Install

Post by DrBri99 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:07 pm

I have a 12 year old Windows 7 HP Desktop workhorse.
My wife used this for her business, which she sold in 2013, it was sparsely used until I asked if I could use this as our HTPC. I had a USB tuner that I was using on my laptop previously.
This would have been around 2015, things worked smoothly
How everything ran from 2015 until recently:
Every once in a while there were 2 programs I wanted to record at once, so I bought some PCIe Tuners - AverMedia M791 (2 of them), around 2016.

I installed them both, but every once in a while I would get the Blue Screen of Death. I removed one and used the USB tuner in conjunction - this worked very well (switched to Zap2XML and EPG Center after microsoft discontinued listings.

And then...

One morning I noticed the PC fan sounded a little loud, I peeked inside and it looked like it was running slow. I had a few hiccups on another program freezing in the months leading up to this. WMC was working fine though. Ordered a new fan and installed ASAP.

Our local stations re-mapped channels around the same time, and through a series of mis-understandings I ended up re-installing WMC, and the very next day started having Blue Screen issues. I noticed a Restore point from a security update the night before, and decided to Restore to a point a few weeks before that. Now windows was running smoothly again, but the issues with WMC started showing up.

I noticed on the WMC set-up that it kept saying only one tuner would be set up because no channels were found on the PCIe tuner. I verified it was working by using Channel Scan function on EPG Centre, where I could chose which tuner was being used. Once WMC was running I was able to record 2 stations at once, on WMC, sometimes this worked, other times it would lead to BSOD.

I remembered I still had the other PCI card in storage - swapped them in case it was hardware failure, but still had intermittent issues with the PCIe card causing a crash.

I tried to examine the crash log, and it seemed to be driver related - I verified I had the most recent drivers for the USB and PCIe tuners.

I have another USB tuner that I use for travel, and I tried to install this by running the TV setup on WMC. This also caused the same issue of "no channels found" on this tuner through WMC TV setup, but could tune channels via channel scan on EPG Centre.

Last night I disabled the PCIe card from Device Manager and I'm not sure of my next step. I would like to get back to 2 tuners since it was running this way for 6+ years.

I did successfully install WMC on a windows 10 laptop, so I'm confident if I get a Win10 system I can get it up and running quickly.

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any insights, I would love to hear them.

DrBri99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DrBri99 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:09 pm

I did another search with the name of the tuner card, and a post came up with a link to a different driver.
When I get a chance, I'll try it, and report back.
The crashes didn't happen all the time, so it may take a while to see if this helps.
https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/123 ... oblem.html