Having video stuttering issues

stuartm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 pm

It may be a reception issue, is this OTA? if so you may need an LTE filter on your antenna.

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 pm

stuartm wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 pm It may be a reception issue, is this OTA? if so you may need an LTE filter on your antenna.
If this is for me, I have a great OTA signal. Both WMC, and the Silicon Dust apps show a full strength green signal.

The client systems use the same tuners, and do not have the problem.

Thanks

bros

Post by bros » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:02 pm

stuartm wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:46 pm It may be a reception issue, is this OTA? if so you may need an LTE filter on your antenna.
for me? No, Verizon FiOS with a HDHomeRun. However, the HDHomeRun is plugged into my router and getting the signal over WiFi.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 pm

o2cats wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 pm
If this is for me, I have a great OTA signal. Both WMC, and the Silicon Dust apps show a full strength green signal.

Thanks
Since other systems don't see a problem from same tuners than maybe not reception.
Note that all green on SD tuners could mean too hot a signal and that can cause them problems. Also the strength of the signal is unrelated to LTE interference so if you are having LTE interference does not really matter if full strength.

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:46 am

stuartm wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 pm

Thanks
Since other systems don't see a problem from same tuners than maybe not reception.
Note that all green on SD tuners could mean too hot a signal and that can cause them problems. Also the strength of the signal is unrelated to LTE interference so if you are having LTE interference does not really matter if full strength.
I ordered an LTE filter. I have the antenna in the roof, 30' coax to my network room where I connect to my 4-port amp/splitter, where the HDHomeruns reside. I do not believe the local OTA broadcasts have gotten stronger, and the stuttering is a new issue, so I do not expect anything is being overdriven. Even though the other WMC PCs do not have the issue, an the LTE filter is a easy/cheap thing to test, and would love if that was the issue.

Thanks

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Mon May 15, 2023 9:46 pm

stuartm wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 pm

Thanks
I installed the Phillips version of the LTE filter right at the input of the amplifer/splitter. It was cheaper, and had the same specs as the Silicon Dust, and Channel Master low pass filters. I made sure it was the 2020 version with the cutoff at 608Mhz, versus the older version with a higher cuttoff. I did not notice any difference. I thought maybe I had a lower quality or defective unit, so I ordered one of the Silicon Dust versions. That one did not show any improvement either. The stations with the issues are not near the cellular frequencies near top of the frequency range.

I did see some distortion on the other PCs, so I hooked up one of the outputs of the amplifier directly to the tuner in a TV, and that also shows some distortion, so it is related to the signal, and not the computers. Antennaweb does show multiple cellphone towers very close to my location, but I am at a loss of what to try if the interference is from the towers, and the filters are ineffective.

The signal strength on the stations with the issue show 5/5 bars in the WMC app. It is a new problem, and do not think the stations have increased their power output, but I could split the signal to knock that down, or slightly miss aim the antenna, if their is any possibility it is being over driven.

I would appriciate any suggestions,

Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon May 15, 2023 10:26 pm

Full green on SD app could mean a too hot signal, an easy thing to try is put in a splitter to lower it a bit below 100 and see if there is any improvement.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Tue May 16, 2023 2:46 am

So, it was working great.
And then, suddenly it wasn't?

What changed between then and now?
Windows updates?
Driver updates?
Have you tried restoring from backup?
Please tell me you took a fully disk backup after you got everything working properly back then?

If it was working before and isn't now, then throwing hardware at it is the wrong thing to do.
Because the hardware was already fine.

Sega32bit

Post by Sega32bit » Tue May 16, 2023 10:09 am

sanjosanjo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:15 pm
d00zah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:20 pm Have you checked the system log for drive errors? Run 'chkdsk [letter]:' to see what the OS thinks?

I think the answer to the replacement ? is largely subjective. I've read claims that an SSD is the only solution. Others, a 7200RPM 'spinner' is a must. Opinions will always vary. Choose the capacity you think you need, within your budget.

Also, consider the speed of the interface you connect the drive to... an older SATA II controller will limit bandwidth, although I'm not convinced that's the root of the stuttering.

I use a 2.5" 2TB 'green' drive (SATA III i'face) for my recordings (on 2 different PCs) & experience no issues w/ 6 simultaneous recording streams, while watching something else previously recorded. YMMV
I haven't checked the log, but I will. Is that the output of Event Viewer? Like this example? https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... _disk.html

Regarding the drive, I worry about using an SSD because of the constant read/write activity. It seems like that would wear out an SSD faster than a magnetic drive, but I don't know if this is an issue with modern SSD's.

I notice you are using a 2.5" HDD. Is that for power or sound purposes? I hadn't considered those.
I know what you mean, I used use an Intel 2.5 ssd just for media center but found it was getting quite hot especially recording hd channels, so swapped over to a 2.5 western digital 320gb hdd ftom an old laptop and it seems to do a lot better with heat and recoding and the buffer with live tv.