Win7 March system update killed WMC/mce

sbdman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by sbdman » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:07 pm

Toaster4000 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:42 am
andyhi wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:06 am
garyan2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 am I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.

Similar problem on my Win 8.1 Media Center box. Uninstalled the March 8, 2022 monthly update (Win 8.1 - KB5011564) prior to seeing this thread as a work around.

I checked permissions to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center after uninstalling KB5011564 and see the following:

Users:
- Read [Inherited from parent]

Administrators:
- Read + Full Control [Inherited from parent]
(These only apply if launching MC as admin or if UAC is completely disabled on your box.... Other wise the User and Interactive permissions will be the limiting factor.)

INTERACTIVE:
- Read & the following Advanced / Special permissions: Query Value, Set Value, Create Subkey, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control. [Explicit permissions assignment / Not inherited from parent. Applies to child key and subkeys.]
(For anyone not familiar with this special windows security principal - Users interactively logged into the windows console/shell are part of this special security group. I.e. The windows user that launches the Media Center app.)

For anyone else looking at these permissions - Check to see if the 3/22 Monthly update resets/changes any of these permissions, particularly those assigned to INTERACTIVE. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation to reapply KB5011564 to compare what changed.
Thanks so much for posting the old permissions, @andyhi. The permissions removed by the update appear to be Set Value and Create Subkey. Adding those to INTERACTIVE fixes the issue for me, and appears to be the correct fix instead of granting permission to EVERYONE.
You guys are Rock Stars and all in one day!
My debug skills at this were as follows;
Trying to re-setup WMC, and crashing at Finish.
Uninstalling WMC, reboot and Reinstalling WMC.
Googling "KB5011564 breaks windows media center" and seeing nothing on March 9th.
Repeating the initial WMC setup, then cussing at my Windows 8.1 HTPC setup mainly using 10 foot remote control, then standing up close to the 65" TV with handheld mini keyboard to thumb type commands into.
Uninstalling KB5011564 and getting back to watching TV (cable card installed) to relax my frayed nerves.

Then, starting a chat to Microsoft Windows Support. After an hour and the 3rd "tech" named Parmeesh calls me on my phone to tell me to re-issue my problem to Microsoft Development using my Windows 10 and the App "Feedback Hub" mentioning the problem was in Windows 8.1 (which doesn't have Feedback Hub). Also had to hide the update from Auto Updates. (more Googling for that since 8.1 doesn't accept the App he sent me.)

Bottom Line, Microsoft Development does have this logged now, and after seeing these posts on permissions, I reinstalled, changed the Interactive advanced special permissions - new lessons learned for an old timer, the Security Update has been installed and WMC working great again! Fingers crossed for EPG123, lol.

Don't you love it when the first/second tech say "We no longer support 8.1, why don't you upgrade to Windows 10?" Long live Windows Media Center!

Note; I did have to run Regedt32 as administrator and log in as the default user, not my different remote login name that didn't seem to stick the permissions for Interactive after reboot.
Last edited by sbdman on Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:12 pm

The March update includes a CVE specifically for Media Center: https://msrc.microsoft.com/update-guide ... 2022-21973

Perhaps this is the source of the change. I’m not sure what the underlying issue is that this sought to fix, though.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:32 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:19 am I can also verify that adding 'Everyone' with full permission on the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center' will also work after update is installed.
Does adding "Everyone" with Full Control checked eliminate the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" prompt I'm getting when starting wmc as administrator and also when Set Value and Create Subkey are checked in INTERACTIVE?

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:40 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:32 pm
Does adding "Everyone" with Full Control checked eliminate the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" prompt I'm getting when starting WMC as administrator and also when Set Value and Create Subkey are checked in INTERACTIVE?
Please don't grant permissions to EVERYONE - it's unnecessary and expands the security risk.

Once you've restored the two missing permissions for the INTERACTIVE security group, you no longer need to (and should not) launch Media Center with administrative privileges.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:50 pm

nice to know I am not the only one still using MC on W8.1

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:55 pm

Sorry. I didn't intend my post to indicate a "fix", it was meant to be supporting evidence that it is simply a permission issue with that registry key/subkeys. I didn't have the time or energy to investigate which permissions were changed with the update, so thank you @andyhi and @Toaster4000 for doing to grunt work on that.

EDIT: added Toaster4000 to kudos. Reading on webpage rather than in Tapatalk made that easier to see.
Last edited by garyan2 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 pm

I added the two missing permissions for the INTERACTIVE security group on Windows 8.1 but I am still getting the Welcome screen. Does it need a reboot or some background process restarting?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:30 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 pm I added the two missing permissions for the INTERACTIVE security group on Windows 8.1 but I am still getting the Welcome screen. Does it need a reboot or some background process restarting?
I don’t think so, but worth trying a reboot if you’re having trouble. I think I ran into trouble because, not knowing what was going on originally, I continued through the welcome experience. Perhaps because I did that, I ended up having to reset Media Center and start over. Did you continue through the welcome experience while permissions were busted, by any chance?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:56 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 pm I added the two missing permissions for the INTERACTIVE security group on Windows 8.1 but I am still getting the Welcome screen. Does it need a reboot or some background process restarting?
Thanks everyone. Checking the two INTERACTIVE boxes as described and Clicking OK and when present Apply first has resolved all issues. No nag box either like running in Administrator did.:)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm

I did click the first screen but then bailed out when it gave the Express/Advanced option.
I'll try a restart and perhaps some extra permissions.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Toaster4000

Post by Toaster4000 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:03 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm I did click the first screen but then bailed out when it gave the Express/Advanced option.
Before messing further with permissions, try (temporarily) launching as administrator. If you still get the welcome experience, your config is likely messed up. If it does work, there are remaining permissions issues.

resarfekim

Post by resarfekim » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:18 pm

sbdman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:07 pm
Don't you love it when the first/second tech say "We no longer support 8.1, why don't you upgrade to Windows 10?" Long live Windows Media Center!
Microsoft has long had a disdain for their wonderful creation.
Thanks guys for finding the fix. That little scare is not something you want to deal with when it's bedtime and you just want to fall asleep to Battlestar Galactica.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:33 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm I did click the first screen but then bailed out when it gave the Express/Advanced option.
Hmm for what it's worth. 3 of my win 8.1 wmc were fixed checking 2 boxes in INTERACTIVE. The 4h didn't work and I don't see a mistake. The boxes remain checked upon inspection. Even rebooted to no avail. Entered the Everyone with full Control and that got wmc working again.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:22 pm

After setting the registry permissions I was still left with the Welcome wizard. Running as admin didn’t help, neither did rolling back the update.

So I reinstalled the update, added the two specific permissions and set about defeating the Welcome wizard. By comparing registry settings with those from a completed setup I found that the following settings skipped the first run setup and retained all my previous config. Normal service finally resumed.

To be clear, you only need these settings if you find you are still getting the Welcome screen after setting the registry permissions. Either save the below as a .reg file and import, or set the values manually. Do this whilst Media Center is closed.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.GlobalSettings]
"strPageFirstRun"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\FirstRunRegSettings]
"CurrentModule"=dword:ffffffff
"CurrentSequence"=""
"RunWizardAgain"=dword:00000000
Last edited by IT Troll on Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSMTC

Post by MSMTC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:44 am

Low skill user

Run administrator no guide info no recording files. Is there a step by step guide to correct?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:49 am

Did you continue through the Welcome screens to run through the first time setup? If you did this then it may have done a “factory reset”. Which will mean everything needs setting up again. Alternatively, restoring to an earlier System Restore Point (or other backup if you have one) may help.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:38 pm

IT Troll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:49 am Did you continue through the Welcome screens to run through the first time setup? If you did this then it may have done a “factory reset”. Which will mean everything needs setting up again. Alternatively, restoring to an earlier System Restore Point (or other backup if you have one) may help.

That does not work. at the end after the stations have been detected it crashes

MSMTC

Post by MSMTC » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:07 pm

IT Troll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:49 am Did you continue through the Welcome screens to run through the first time setup? If you did this then it may have done a “factory reset”. Which will mean everything needs setting up again. Alternatively, restoring to an earlier System Restore Point (or other backup if you have one) may help.
I did- restarted again this morning, guide and scheduled recordings were back. I think I muddled my way to change the right 2 permissions so it’s working correctly now

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:34 pm

mercalia wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:38 pm That does not work. at the end after the stations have been detected it crashes
You need to have set the registry permissions (or run as admin). I and others have recovered using this method.

Jason-R

Post by Jason-R » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:02 pm

Great fix @andyhi @Toaster4000
I found that running MCE as Administrator does not allow wifi remotes etc to operate, but resetting the Permissions seems to fix everything :-)