Disk Full

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disk Full

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:39 am

I keep getting the disk full error while watching live tv. The disk I use for recording isn't full. Most solutions I've googled are for people with external drives, mine isn't. I can restart and watch for a few minutes and get the same error. I've deleted recordings and checked the drive under tasks, it's not full. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 am

Is the drive that contains C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV running out of space? This is the default "Recorded TV" folder, and sometimes WMC can revert back to using this instead of your current "Recorded TV" location.

As you mentioned the main reason it can do this is if the "Recorded TV" drive is not ready when WMC tries to access it, as can often happen with an external USB drive that is in power saving mode. However internal drives can also have a power saving mode that can cause this problem (or the buffer file on that drive is corrupted), I have a program that turns off the power saving feature on all my internal hard drives when the system boots up.

See this thread for more information.

If neither drive is running out of space, then it is possible that the file used to store the live TV buffer is corrupted. It is a hidden folder (TempRec\TempSBE) with a hidden files inside.

You can try deleting this folder, although you would have to make the file and folder visible and stop some processes to do so (not sure what processes need to be stopped, but probably the WMC GUI and the ehRecvr service). As a last resort you can go in to "Safe Mode" and delete them. WMC should recreate the folder and files within it when it starts again.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I checked my settings, my recorder is set to e:, 2794 GB, Max TV limit is 2794 GB, and a fourth of the space is available. 'i have multiple drives storing movies and such so I could change to another drive, but would I lose all my recorded shows?

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm

I tried using another drive with plenty of space and still the same issue. Plus now, WMC keeps having an error and stops working. It's been fine for years so I have no idea why this is an issue now. Where exactly is TempRec\TempSBE?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm

lucasbuck wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm Where exactly is TempRec\TempSBE?
It's a hidden folder in your "Recorded TV" directory.
  • Press F10 (for the menu)
  • Select Tools -> Folder Options
  • On the "View" tab click on the "Show hidden files, folders..." radio button
  • Click on OK
At that point you should be able to see a subdued folder within your Recorded TV folder

Screenshot

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm

I 'think' I figured it out. The c: drive (a ssd) was low on space. I didn't figure that would cause the issue since recordings don't go there. Dvrms had a ton of files from a long time ago that was clogging it up. Although I hate the ssd, I'm always right on the edge. I appreciate the advice!

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:04 am

Note that you can get the live TV buffer to be on the storage drive by changing the recording location to C:, reboot, then change it back to the storage drive. I believe that procedure is in the link I provided in my last post.

FX3d

Post by FX3d » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 pm

Thank you Space. I followed your simple procedure, and problem fixed!