Seeking recommendations for mini/low powered PC for WMC

docmattman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Seeking recommendations for mini/low powered PC for WMC

Post by docmattman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm

I've tried several different virtualization systems to run WMC. All of them seem to have the same problem. Live TV plays fine, but recorded TV stutters during playback:

viewtopic.php?p=133383#p133383
viewtopic.php?p=133493#p133493

It seems to me that I won't be able to run WMC properly inside a virtual machine. So now, I'm looking for recommendations for a mini pc (preferably fanless) that can run WMC. It shouldn't need to be super powerful, as all the playback will be done from Linksys extenders. Ideally something cheap and lower powered.

Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:19 pm

HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Rodo

Post by Rodo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

I built an intel i5, cube PC, from shuttle a while back for my WMC PC (windows 7 pro). It has a fan but it is very quite. I'm very picky when it comes to noise. Shuttle also has fanless computers and new stuff now. I've bought (and build) most of my computers from their cube line because they are quite. It's been a while since I've built a computer though (3 years maybe). This is not an endorsement but you may want to look at them ... https://us.shuttle.com. Don't get the idea that their stuff is cheap though. The cube line is a full feature computer ... with the same price tag ... just little noise. BTW watch out for Western Digital Black HDDs ...they're noisy, the blue and green are good. Hope that helps.

docmattman

Post by docmattman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks. I've tried a couple cheap mini pcs from Amazon. However, they came with Windows 10 preinstalled and had UEFI boot enabled, so I wasn't able to get Windows 7 to install on them and ultimately ended up returning them. Just trying to find one that will allow for a Windows 7 install these days seems tough.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:50 pm

docmattman wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm Thanks. I've tried a couple cheap mini pcs from Amazon. However, they came with Windows 10 preinstalled and had UEFI boot enabled, so I wasn't able to get Windows 7 to install on them and ultimately ended up returning them. Just trying to find one that will allow for a Windows 7 install these days seems tough.
This is Fanless and will run Windows 7 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VB ... UTF8&psc=1
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm

If you want Windows 7, you are going to have to pick or build a PC with 6th generation or older CPUs. Windows 7 not supported in 7th gen and newer Core i3/i5/i7 processors FYI. Intel and Microsoft got together to shut down a perfectly fine operating system:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... april.html

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:24 pm

joeer77 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm If you want Windows 7, you are going to have to pick or build a PC with 6th generation or older CPUs. Windows 7 not supported in 7th gen and newer Core i3/i5/i7 processors FYI. Intel and Microsoft got together to shut down a perfectly fine operating system:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... april.html
If you do some google searches, there is some ways around it. Although Windows 7 could be tricked to install on a newer CPU, it might not be optimized for that CPU...

With that being said, Windows 7 Media Center was released when Single core CPUs were the norm (aka 2009), so a 3-4 year old i5/i7, as long as it has a decent video card that has HDMI out, it will work great.

My main CPU is a 2015 i5 that is a quad core i5. I upgraded the video card to a 1050ti... I can run games at amazing quality, and I run WMC in 4K, with many movies in 4K with HD audio... Never even a blip.. works flawless. I though about an upgrade but, there is no point. It runs everything I dump at it flawlessly...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012