Blurry WMC icons? (only the unselected ones)

riccume

HTPC Specs: Show details

Blurry WMC icons? (only the unselected ones)

Post by riccume » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am

Hello. I rebuilt my W7 HTPC given that the hardware was close to 10 years old. Not easy but WMC is now happily up and running.
One issue though: in WMC, the icons and text that aren't selected look quite blurry. Everything else is fine: the selected icon is perfectly sharp; video is sharp; outside Windows Media Center, everything in W7 is sharp; if I connect to the HTPC via TeamViewer, this doesn't happen either - it only happens on the TV.

Any ideas of what might be happening? This issue used to come up on the old build too but it was rare and I just needed to restart WMC to fix it.

Thanks!
FYI new build: AMD A12-9800E (I gave up on Ryzen 5 2400G due to lack of W7 GPU drivers), Gibabyte B450 Aorus M, 1TB M.2 SSD, 2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 pm

I would double check the resolution inside WMC, and on the desktop itself. I would also take a look at the graphics control panel and disable anything that looks like an enhancement. Finally, make sure cleartype text is turned off. Those are just ideas.

riccume

Post by riccume » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks jachin99. Turns out the issue is a truly bizarre one. The HTPC is connected to an old LG plasma TV. A long time ago I manually labeled the video inputs on the TV menu and I selected the label "PC" (among those available) for the HDMI input used by the HTPC.
Well, it turns out that when you choose the label "PC", the TV overrides normal picture settings and instead automatically selects 'special' ones - that apparently are terrible for WMC and for watching video in general. (For some reason this wasn't as evident with the old build of the HTPC).

Long story short, I changed the label of the HDMI input to "Blu-ray" and all is good now. Crazy!
Thanks again for your help.