Anyone else lose tuner configuration to W7 'Security Update'?

MpTrumbore

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone else lose tuner configuration to W7 'Security Update'?

Post by MpTrumbore » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 am

Was away for the week and WMC lost tuner configuration. Just got back and went to restore the last backup and noticed that restore points were set for several 'Security Updates' starting mid July. Hadn't had an issue until Monday and restored to my weekly Sunday backup from 7/28. There were two restore points after, 7/29 and 7/30, both listed as windows 'Security Updates'. After restoring to 7/28 I have tuner configuration and recording schedules back. I had windows update set to 'Never check for updates' as it is a dedicated WMC machine only connected to the internet for guide listings, though I did not have every option in windows update settings unchecked. Anyone else had issues? Is microsoft pushing updates to all W7 users now, even those of us that decline updates?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:50 pm

I remember way back, on suggestion in this forum, also to turn off the update service.

I did, and haven't seen an update since, that I know about. I think that yes, MS can push updates past your preference not to. Hence turning off the service itself.

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Had same issue few weeks ago. ended up updating dot net, restarting Tuner Salad & wmc (6 tuners). Also running ServerWMC for my RPi clients.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:00 am

MpTrumbore wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 am Was away for the week and WMC lost tuner configuration. Just got back and went to restore the last backup and noticed that restore points were set for several 'Security Updates' starting mid July. Hadn't had an issue until Monday and restored to my weekly Sunday backup from 7/28. There were two restore points after, 7/29 and 7/30, both listed as windows 'Security Updates'. After restoring to 7/28 I have tuner configuration and recording schedules back. I had windows update set to 'Never check for updates' as it is a dedicated WMC machine only connected to the internet for guide listings, though I did not have every option in windows update settings unchecked. Anyone else had issues? Is microsoft pushing updates to all W7 users now, even those of us that decline updates?
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and have all up dates and everything is running fine using HDhomerun with cable card and no problems
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am

Ensure you don't allow or install any of the "preview" updates, just wait until the finished version comes out, don't beta test for MS. The preview updates always seem to mess with my Windows MC and I have to restart a few times to fix it. :-\

Paul