Pixelization in WMC but not VLC

bobviolence

HTPC Specs: Show details

Pixelization in WMC but not VLC

Post by bobviolence » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:15 pm

My setup:

HTPC running Windows 7 WMC, fed by two HD SiliconDust OTA boxes (4 tuners total) on the network. All recordings are done local to this machine. 3 GB spinning WD HDD (think it's Blue, but don't remember), 8 GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Intel i5 4690S with liquid cooling, 1GB network with cat 5e throughout. The rig doesn't break a sweat when recording 4 HD streams, and has been rock solid for the past 4+ years.

Recently, during a fast moving transition on the screen (like during a football game, when a large graphic will sweep over the entire screen as one scene transitions to another), I will get pixelization. Happens in WMC, rather recorded or live. Is repeatable (I can rewind, and see exactly the same pixelization, in exactly the same spots). Not specific to any channel, or any tuner.

However, when I view the exact same .WTV file in VLC, it is perfect. When I view the exact same feed from the tuner (live) in the HD HomeRun software, it is perfect.

This leads me to believe WMC is the culprit, or some CODEC it is using.

I have updated all video card drivers, as well as the firmware on the SiliconDust tuners. All Windows updates have been applied.

99% of my video is perfect. It's just those fast moving, full screen transitions that show pixelization in WMC only (again, not VLC or the HomeRun software live).

What am I missing?
Last edited by bobviolence on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Some more info ...

I have another Windows 7 machine on the network. I fired up WMC on it, and pointed it to the same .WTV file, and it played perfectly ... and this was over a wired network; not playing the file locally like the troubled WMC machine.

So ... issue is definitely with WMC on my main HTPC. I guess I will have to start looking to see if anything odd got installed on it recently, and if all else fails, reinstall WMC on it (or just refresh the entire OS if it comes down to it).

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:23 pm

What codec pack does the troubled machine have installed? WMC needs it for SOME media. VLC comes with it's own. Shark007, for example, asks during install if you do 'WMC LiveTV', so it apparently matters.

I'd try uninstalling any codec 'extras' & testing with 'native' .wtv support only. Worth a shot?

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Update ...

So I removed the GTX 1060 from the box, and supplied the TV with the onboard Intel Graphics. Pixelation problem disappeared.

Re-seated the 1060 after blowing everything out, and pixelation problem came back. Used the popular Display Driver Uninstaller, rebooted, and reinstalled Nvidia drivers (purposely one from 6 months ago, which is well before the problem started), and pixelation is still there.

It appears I have a bad/failing GPU. I'll replace it, and hopefully this will be a memory.

mypanasonic

Post by mypanasonic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:51 pm

after sept 2018 i to noticed probs with nvidia driver
whilst using opengl and hardware acceleration.

i was told by nvidia dev to try the following

save, then restart.

everything was working peachy again.

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Late follow-up ...

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to try your fix, as I got fed-up with my GTX 1060 and this issue, and replaced it with an RX 570. This really irked me, as I'm a lifelong nVidia fan due to my gaming hobby. However, it worked. Pixelation issue is gone, so props to AMD/Radeon in this case.

Down the road when I refresh my HTPC box, I'll attempt to go back to nVidia and try what you mentioned.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:47 pm

If it's only playback that is causing the problem, yea, a GPU could be the problem but, I have seen where a hard drive is starting to fail where this issue would show it's face during a recording. It would play back but very pixelizated. So when you start to see these types of issues, check your hard drive.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012