Ok to run Win 7 WMC after 1/2020?

jziggity

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ok to run Win 7 WMC after 1/2020?

Post by jziggity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:48 am

With the unfortunate January 2020 end of life deadline for Windows 7 approaching, I'm trying to get out in front of it and figure out what a replacement for my Win 7 WMC and XBox extenders ecosystem will be. For several years I have enjoyed HDHR Primes and WMC on Win 7, and all has been great. Obviously Win 7 won't immediately cease to function on that fateful day, but I am wondering, would it still be OK to run this setup despite the end of security updates/patches?

Right now the Win 7 machine also doubles as the main desktop machine in the house. If I were to physically replace this machine with a new desktop, but still keep the old one and relegate it to a closet so that it ONLY handles DVR functions, is that good enough? Without daily online interaction, web surfing, gaming, etc., is it safe enough to just let this machine chug along with WMC for as long as possible?

If the answer is no, or "I wouldn't do that if I were you," then I'm certainly open to other suggestions for replacements. I currently have HDHR hardware (Primes and a Quatro), so I was thinking that their DVR system would be a natural next step. It seems pretty decent based on reviews and demo's I have been running with live content (I didn't purchase the recording option yet). I like that they have added a premium channel option for OTA users as well, as that is the direction I would like to go.

My hangup with it so far is what to use as clients at each TV in the house (4 total)? Right now each TV has a Firestick (gen 2) attached, and I do like those devices. In testing the HDHR app using live antenna and cable TV, I just don't think the power is there with the stick form of AFTV for a smooth playback experience. In particular, I believe I'm dealing with de-interlacing issues using the HDHR app on the Firesticks. Unfortunately I don't have a 3rd gen Fire TV box to test with this setup. If anyone else has a 3rd gen Fire TV box going already with HDHR hardware, I would be interested in hearing your feedback, especially your experiences with interlaced content. I should note that I do get some local channels in 720p, and they look just fine on the Firestick!

The other solution I was considering was Plex combined with HDHR hardware. But there again, I ran into the same issues with de-interlacing on the same Firestick hardware. I should also clarify that all Firesticks have the ethernet adapter add-on connected, so I'm not trying to ram these options through via wifi.

If there are other options that I should look at in earnest, that won't break the bank, I would be welcome to suggestions. Thanks!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:44 am

Just because support is ending for win 7 it doesn't mean that your WMC will no longer work. The only question is whether Microsoft will stop sending guide data. If they do there is epg123 as an alternative guide. The only problem that could arise is that without security updates your system will have unfixed vulnerabilities but will function as it does now.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm

I wouldn't run it as a main PC much past the EOS date.
But if you leave it as a WMC server ONLY and never use it for anything else, then it should be fine if you lock down the firewall on everything other than WMC related traffic?
And ensure folder/file permissions are set up so everyone is blocked except your newer up to date machines.
And don't be opening any non-WMC related files.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Btw, Windows XP is still getting security updates from Microsoft.
They may not be actively developing specifically for XP but they are still sending out updates through 2019 for it.
Years past the date they said they would stop supporting it. :)

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I will probably continue using Win7 on all my HTPC client machines to infinity. WMC is still my favorite Media Center platform. What a shame Microsoft discontinued such a fantastic product. I don't update them anyway because it would most likely cause more harm than good. Microsoft is infamous for breaking working drivers and programs. There is no personal data stored on the clients so there's nothing to lose if they get attacked. Sure there are hackers so capable that they can infiltrate an entire network through a weak link, circumvent firewalls and the like. However it is my personal opinion that if such a talented cyber-criminal decides to launch a personal attack, there's not much you can do against it.

Anyway, the risk is just way too low probability-wise to take such drastic measures as changing the OS that I've been running satisfactorily for many years. On the machines that I store private data on and have network admin privileges on, sure I will drop M$ and turn to something like Linux Mint (not interested in the NSA edition marketed as Win10). But on machines that are only used for media playback and DVR there's no imminent reason to change anything. Like @CZ Eddie correctly remarked, Microsoft pushes critical updates even for discontinued systems, as was demonstrated during the infamous WannaCry cyber-attack.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:54 pm

Good feedback, thanks for the info everyone. :)

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Over this past weekend, I was having similar thoughts about the future of my HTPCs running WMC.
My setup...
I currently have dedicated Alienware Alpha R1 systems connected to TVs for the sole purpose of running Windows 7 WMC.
All the TVs are smart 4K LG and Sony OLEDS, so I use their native apps for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc... Obviously, because of HDR/Dolby Vision support through the TV and not the PC.

The only reason I have these computers is for live and recorded TV and for my personal movie library.

I have 2 HD Homerun Primes with Verizon FIOS cablecards.
I use my Plex Pass to watch live or recorded tv content remotely.

All the computers are networked and I share the recorded TV (non-copy once) and movies across the house.
I also use the My Media Center app from Ceton for remote control on my phone and to manage recordings remotely.
This setup has been a joy for the most part, albeit, there is maintenance with running all these dedicated Windows HTPCs.

With that said, I have recently trialed almost every streaming service available currently, including YouTube TV, DirecTV Now, Sling etc.
NONE of these services can match the quality of WMC + CableCard setup.
Also, the whole DRM issue is such a headache with other PC apps like Kodi, media portal etc.

I just don't see an alternative to the ease of use and versatility of having a dedicated WMC system, at least for now.
It really is a shame that Microsoft killed it off, but I see no reason to worry past 2020. The concern would be the program guide, as someone mentioned, but yeah, EPG123 can cover that.

I feel like holding up a Windows 7 installation disc in one hand with the caption, "From my cold dead hands, Microsoft!!!"

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm

cwinfield wrote:Just because support is ending for win 7 it doesn't mean that your WMC will no longer work. The only question is whether Microsoft will stop sending guide data. If they do there is epg123 as an alternative guide. The only problem that could arise is that without security updates your system will have unfixed vulnerabilities but will function as it does now.
If your really worried about that, Install a really good firewall that blocks almost everything besides applications that need some ports (to get guide data, streaming services, etc)

Most security issues are a result of a user doing something they should not be doing. Like clicking a link in a email, or opening a questionable program, or even a website with ads. Other issues can be locked down with a firewall. If you use your WMC machine as a appliance, meaning NO Web browsing, no day to day work, as a dedicated machine most of these issues will not happen.

Search for "MVP hosts" download and install. Magically 99% of websites will show no ads. It's a nice way to give your a % of protection.

As for guide data from Microsoft. Windows 8.1's guide data comes the same exact way (it is the same version accept missing a few settings), so you have till at least 2023 (8.1's death). Then the other side of it, the ROVI change was to take care of all their devices that need "guide data", this also includes the Xbox one's TV guide.

So, it's even possible you could install Windows 7 in 2025 and still get guide data.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 pm

I shall be still using my Windows 7 MCE hopefully long after 2020. Just keep it for MCE use and get another desk top for other use. The only thing that might worry me is tv recception & in particular setting up a tv tuner in MCE needs working guide data? So if you move home you might be in trouble if there is no guide data? but I gave up tv long time ago

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:31 pm

If you pay, Micro$oft will be happy to update you. https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... y-updates/

(this may only apply to large users)

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 pm

^Per the linked article:

"These ESUs will be available to any Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise users"

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 pm

mercalia wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:36 pm I shall be still using my Windows 7 MCE hopefully long after 2020. Just keep it for MCE use and get another desk top for other use. The only thing that might worry me is tv recception & in particular setting up a tv tuner in MCE needs working guide data? So if you move home you might be in trouble if there is no guide data? but I gave up tv long time ago

Personaly I would not worry about it, *** IF *** you are using it like an appliance than a PC (ONLY USING IT for TV, Movies, Music via Media Center). If you are using as a day to day device. Then you should be worried. There is a very clear line here. As with XP, after a while, browsers stop working correctly (no longer supported), Anti-virus and other apps will not work, although this will take a few years. If your browsing the web on it, chances are you can get a virus or other spyware that could be a big deal with out security patches.

XP was killed off in 2014, and apps are just starting to reallyd die, IE has not been updated in a long time, Chrome is no longer supported(still kind of works), A few anti-viurus apps no longer support XP and driver support is a nightmare if your trying to install NEW hardware.

Those are the only things I would REALLY be worried about. Seeing how long it took XP to fade, after 2020, you might have 5-7 years before it's really something that you SHOULD worry about.
mcewinter wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 pm ^Per the linked article:

"These ESUs will be available to any Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise users"
Right, and about 4 months later (Talking XP because of how XP died and how big it was) there was a reg hack that enabled security updates (POS systems but, worked fine for most major security issues). It did work on all XP systems at the time.

So maybe it's a possabilty...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:45 am

I know a salesperson for one of the huge PC manufacturers in the USA.
He said he just took an order for 200 desktops that the client intends to run Win7 on.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:47 am

After this news about MS supporting Win7 till 2023, I've ditched my plans for a Win8.1 WMC server and am back to Win7 if I can make it work in VMware with a passthrough video card (still working on that).
I may not plan on paying for any updates but you just know they will be available to be found and downloaded SOMEWHERE.

Alan G

Post by Alan G » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm

I have a dedicated PC running Win7 hooked up to the TV with nothing fancy. Only thing I do other than WMC TV is Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only downside I foresee is the lack of new hardware that is Win7 compatible. If a MoBo dies one might be out of luck in terms of repairing the system. It's also crucial to maintain a full system backup so that in the event of primary disk drive failure on can boot into the backup. WMC does not place many demands on the system the same way that gaming does.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 pm

Any Windows OS after 7 makes me cringe.....

Microsoft really dropped the ball, and didn't realize what they had. WMC was ahead of it's time....seriously....because look at all of the digital content/streaming that's going on now. They could have been the TOP player in this media frenzy....if they only knew what they already had.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Alan G wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 pm I have a dedicated PC running Win7 hooked up to the TV with nothing fancy. Only thing I do other than WMC TV is Netflix and Amazon Prime. The only downside I foresee is the lack of new hardware that is Win7 compatible. If a MoBo dies one might be out of luck in terms of repairing the system. It's also crucial to maintain a full system backup so that in the event of primary disk drive failure on can boot into the backup. WMC does not place many demands on the system the same way that gaming does.
well there are plenty of windows 7 desktops for sale for peanuts. I use lowly core 2duo intel E8500 that doesnt tax things, so may be get a spare before they all become just junk? I always used to buy 2 mb at a time just for this scenario

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:31 am

dejavux2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 pm Any Windows OS after 7 makes me cringe.....

Microsoft really dropped the ball, and didn't realize what they had. WMC was ahead of it's time....seriously....because look at all of the digital content/streaming that's going on now. They could have been the TOP player in this media frenzy....if they only knew what they already had.
While generally I agree with that, I must say that Windows 8 (8.1?) was an absolutely superb operating system for a phone. I needed a phone quickly, and decided to try Windows--and did so with a fairly low end phone. And frankly, overall and from a business perspective it remains one of my fondest technology purchases. I sincerely wish Android could be configured to do some things that Win8 did right out of the box.

(Of course, I had not used Windows 8 on a desktop at that point--I had no need to. To this day I've seen it in a very limited fashion. A machine controller I sell came with Win8, and while it was mostly hidden in the background, every now and then I had to use the UI--and as good as it was for my phone, it was that bad for a desktop.)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:49 pm

I've had Windows Updates turned off on 2 PC's (one an HTPC now an Emby Server), a NUC and a laptop for at least 2 years when they killed my concurrent sessions in RDP. I still run MSE on all my machines. I do not have issues and foresee using Win7 until the machines die which doesn't seem to be anytime soon and they work everyday with MCEBuddy / ComSkip / Handbrake on the HTPC and BlueIris on the PC.

michaellennox

Post by michaellennox » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:44 am

This is interesting to learn about its functionality in a couple of years. Thank you for the information!