Recordings ending prematurely

Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recordings ending prematurely

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm

The last two days, the majority of my programs have been abruptly ending, strangely at exactly 5 or 10 minutes in. The other half simply say 1 minute and instantly stop when the file is attempted to be played. I have a Ceton InfiniTV6, and I found a post elsewhere with the exact same issue, but no resolution. My MCE log is full of could not start recording due to no signal for the 1 minute files, and stopped manually because the component was used by another service or some such nonsense for the 5 and 10 minute files. The 5 and 10 minute files playback normally, full quality, no issues, just MCE manually stops them and hands the tuner over to who knows what.

I am at a loss for what to do. The only change I made was installing a new GPU a week ago, but this issue started 5 days into that card, and continues after I swapped in a second card. Please, for the love of God, help. :-(

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 17051f7d0e

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Have you looked at the recording history to see why the recording stopped?

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm

A generic search of my events at the exact moment of these occurrences, is showing lots of network and adapter errors, as well as simultaneous large batches of Windows Update start and stop of services, like all within the same second or two. Going to try rebooting my router, reinstalling my network adapter driver, resetting my WMC network, rerun the TV setup again, and pray. I have Cox Cable so I have a stupid tuning adapter to factor in as well!

Any other suggestions or solutions appreciated.

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 pm

So, after reinstalling my network adapter and rebooting my router, WMC when hitting live TV, would show a quick frame of garbled video, then throw the no signal blue screen of MEH! I checked my router logs, and saw at the same time as my recording issue events, hack and DoS attacks, from IP addresses that google was showing recent and current activity in the same time frame a few hours ago as well. I changed my routers MAC address, and hard rebooted the modem, router, and tuning adapter. Once everything booted up, it presented me with a new IP address to go with the new MAC address, and Windows live TV came back to life.

Will report back if this solution is permanent, but it could explain the "too many requests" network errors from the WMC event log.

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 pm

So the issue quickly returned, I saw that my tuning adapter was flashing, which means it's not working properly, so I called Cox and they said they could not ping it, and to have it exchanged. New tuning adapter put in place, problem persists, same "use by another component" error. My new tuning adapter is blinking like the old one, and my Ceton Cablecard diagnostic screen shows all happy green checkmarks. I am pulling what is left of my hair out...sitting on 3TB+ of DRM recordings that cannot be played back on anything other than this $1500 error prone PC. I took some pics of the error this morning, and a simultaneous event at the same time, said by another internet post to be update related. It was an update service start. I had already turned automatic updates off, so I am not sure what this update thing is, but it is always hitting exactly when my "in use by another component" failed recordings take place. Help :-(

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't have a Ceton device, but I have seen info on these forums about issues with Terminal Adapters when connecting to the USB ports on PCs.

The only suggestions I can give is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB ports installed. Note that even if you are using USB 2.0 ports to connect to the TA, if you also have separate USB 3.0 ports on your PC (using a different driver due to them using a separate chipset), you should update the USB 3.0 drivers to the latest available. I've had problems with on-board USB 2.0 ports that was solved by updating the USB 3.0 driver (even though they should have nothing to do with each other).

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for you motherboard, this can also affect the USB ports.

In many cases you need to go directly to the maker of the USB chipset to get the latest drivers, as the PC/motherboard manufacturer usually stops updating the driver info on their website after some time.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Everything is updated, and no installs in the time where the problems started. I have installed an old InfiniTV4 for now, set it to record 4 simultaneous recordings since this morning, just to see if there are any failures, sort of a burn in test. I left the 6 installed, and threw the 13/14/15 firmware upgrades at it in order, then disabled it in Device Manager. If the 4 works fine for a week, I will go back to the 6 with the new firmware to see if the actual card hardware is going bad. Sometimes I need the 6 tuners, but since the current TV schedule is out of fall new shows hysteria, I am OK for now with 4 tuners.

This is one of those weird, it's sitting there with no changes and just starts to go wrong, type of issues, which are the hardest to diagnose, but typically are hardware related.

Paul