WMC freezing--any suggestions?

AllIn7MC

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC freezing--any suggestions?

Post by AllIn7MC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi TGB'ers,

I run Windows 7 Media Center and recently it has started to "freeze". The screen holds a frozen image for about 3 seconds and then it goes black for maybe 5-8 more seconds then goes back to normal. I use HDHR primes with comcast cable card. It happens on non-copy protected and copy protect channels. I did a fresh windows install about 2 months ago but am using the same hardware.

Network activity crashes out but my network connection is still active (image attached). I have tried 2 different ethernet cards and 2 different ethernet cables as well as running on a wireless adapter with the same issue, so that leads me to believe that it may be unrelated to my network connection but instead something to do with WMC.

I have rolled my system back with a system restore to a time before I noticed the issue, but it still freezes. I have not noticed any pattern to the frequency.

Could it be the hard drive?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Attachments
2018-07-10 16_12_50-Windows Task Manager.png

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Check the hard drive... I have seen this tons of times over the years and if it was not the normal stuff (video card drivers, etc), the hard drive has been the cause.

If you keep a 2nd or 3rd Hard drive (for movies, etc), change your recording drive to that(a different INTERNAL drive), and see if the problem is still there.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks, I will put a new hard drive on the wish list--

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:16 am

When you had this all hooked up in a wired Network, who was plugged into what? In other words could you provide us with a network diagram.

Might be easiest just to draw it on a piece of paper, take a picture and upload it.

Model numbers of the router and switches involved would be helpful as well