Using WMC to play streaming TV sites?

Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using WMC to play streaming TV sites?

Post by Mugsy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but since I'm using Win7:

Is it possible to use WMC to play video from streaming content providers (specifically "philo.com")?

I'd like to set up a Win7-based DVR with TV Tuner card for local OTA TV, and access to a subscription "Streaming TV" service like "SlingTV", "DirecTV NOW" or "Philo".

The biggest problem with these streaming services is they use web browsers or devices like Roku with no DVR support.

It would be nice to use WMC as a single "player" for all these sources. I'm currently looking at building my own HTPC with something like "Plex" or "Kodi", but the idea of playing everything through a web browser leaves me flat. :P

TIA

jdlive

Post by jdlive » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 pm

Doubtful you'll be able to do this from within WMC, but Kodi may work. I use it as my front end to access live/recorded TV from my WMC system. And I believe there are Kodi add-ons that will allow use with PS Vue and some other streaming services, you'd need to check on the Kodi forums to find out which are available.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Okay, thanks. I kinda expected that.:(

I searched around online over the weekend and found different "Media Streaming Server" software called "Plex" that looks nice. It supposedly does the same thing (DVR for OTA TV) as WMC plus support for streaming your recordings over the Net to any device running their Android/iOS app (or another PC running Plex.)

Their built-in Guide is $4.99 a month (discounts if you subscribe longer) much like you can do with WMC, so that's pretty cool. I haven't tried Kodi but I'm familiar with it.

I'm investigating ways for my father to "Cut the cord" because his cable TV bill is ridiculous. But he still wants his cable shows. I set him up with unmetered extra high-speed DSL earlier last year, so I'm looking at Premium Streaming services (Philo or DirecTV-NOW... the only two with his favorite channel).

Problem with all this is I've found no single MC software (or DVR hardware) that allows you to access BOTH OTA TV and Streaming Channels from the same guide. You must switch out of Plex (or WMC) and launch a browser to access those channels... something my 76 year old Dad REALLY wouldn't go for! And I've found no streaming service that offers every local channel as part of their package. :(

I've heard the "Roku" might be able to do that (one guide for both OTA & stream), but without DVR support (unless you spend another $200 on a 3rd-Party DVR box.) And Dad must have his DVR.

And that's how I got here... looking to build a cheap Media Center DVR with OTA tuner that can also stream premium "cable" over the Net. But it has to be easy to use (one guide for everything and preferably does not require a mouse.)

That's all. Just everything. :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pm

The closest I've got for my mother is a combination of a TCL Roku TV, subscription with SlingTV for streaming cable channels, and an AirTV for OTA which integrates in the SlingTV app. This gives you a guide for all channels in one location. There are limitations though.

There is a DVR package (50 hours) for SlingTV, but it won't record your local OTA channels off the AirTV, nor will it work with some streaming channels (Disney affiliates + others?). There is some talk about the AirTV including DVR capability in the future for the OTA channels but don't know if I would rely on that. After 6 months from release, they finally got integrated on the Roku. The AirTV was a quiet release and I think was really meant for them to mature their product(s) for future releases... users being the product testers for them.

The AirTV integration in the SlingTV app is on limited platforms; iOS, Android (mobile and TV), Amazon Fire TV, Roku. It is not available with the Windows 10 app.

Benefits with the AirTV also includes the ability to stream everything, including the local OTA broadcasts, to your mobile device anywhere you are due to hardware encoding. Price point is pretty good and you get free guide.

Note:
From what I hear, don't believe all the hype about Plex's DVR capabilities... they just ain't there yet. Emby is much more mature but isn't perfect and their suggested guide source is with Schedules Direct at $25/year.
Last edited by garyan2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

garyan2 wrote:Emby is much more mature but isn't perfect and they're suggested guide source is with Schedules Direct at $25/year.
Great info. Thx. I hadn't heard on Emby. I'll look into it.

I can't tell, but it appears that Kodi requires different plug-ins to do things like access streaming sites, and I briefly searched their site for a DirecTV app but nothing came up.

In Dad's case, "SlingTV" isn't an option because they don't carry his favorite channel ("Velocity". Dad's a car nut.) Philo has it and is an absolute bargain at $16, but they don't offer ANY movie channels and my step-mother won't agree to anything without at least one. That leaves "DirecTV-NOW", which is also still dirt cheap at twice the price of Philo with more channels plus the ability to add a few premium movie channels for an extra fee.

I already hooked up an OTA antenna to Dad's TV for when his dish goes out (on really cloudy days.) But you need extra hardware to DVR a program. If he didn't need the "cable" channels, I'd set him up with the same system as me... WMC with a TV tuner card... for just a few bucks.

A Roku with DVR hardware is probably my best bet, though every Roku-compatible DVR device I've read about seems to be a disappointment based on the reviews I've read. I'll take a look at "Emby". Thx.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:57 pm

There is also Playstation Vue for streaming. The interface is hard to get used to, but I really like their DVR. It not only will "record" stuff, but it will also combine all the OnDemand for that recorded series regardless of what station it is on. Bad thing is, though you have unlimited storage space, the recordings have an expiration date (30 days?). It will also have either your local channels or the major broadcasters OnDemand, though not CW. It is more expensive to get Velocity with Vue ($55).

Here is a good place to compare streaming services and those that provide local channels. http://streambuzz.net/streaming-services-comparison/
- Gary

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 am

Thx for the info Gary. Vue appears to require either an iOS device or Playstation. I have neither. They also don't seem to offer Dad's favorite channel. But helpful info. Thx.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 am

Mugsy wrote:Thx for the info Gary. Vue appears to require either an iOS device or Playstation. I have neither. They also don't seem to offer Dad's favorite channel. But helpful info. Thx.
Don't let the name fool you. Vue works on PC, android, roku, and ? It also has Velocity on the highest tier.

Just a public service announcement.
- Gary

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Mugsy wrote:Thx for the info Gary. Vue appears to require either an iOS device or Playstation.
No, it does not, and that misconception is exactly why Playstation Vue has significantly less subscribers than DirecTV NOW and SlingTV.

https://www.techhive.com/article/327645 ... n-vue.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Scallica wrote:
Mugsy wrote:Thx for the info Gary. Vue appears to require either an iOS device or Playstation.
that misconception is exactly why Playstation Vue has significantly less subscribers than DirecTV NOW and SlingTV.
That, and the fact they are far more expensive. ;)

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 pm

The first question on a Website for streaming apps. How can they be navigated ? Can you move around the website and use the arrows on your keyboard and select/start it with the enter key? Will backspace go back on the website ? If you can.. Install ReLaunch (you can find it around here), then create a WMC shortcut with it, it will put it in Extra apps.

it will run your website full screen and you use a button of your choice, when you hit it, it will close the browser/app and go back to WMC...

So a website based streaming service, is VERY possible (I do the same for youtubeTV), All depending on how you can navigate on it with out needing a keyboard/mouse around...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Mugsy wrote:
Scallica wrote:
that misconception is exactly why Playstation Vue has significantly less subscribers than DirecTV NOW and SlingTV.
That, and the fact they are far more expensive. ;)
True... but you do get more for what you pay for. More channels, more DVR, and more streams insides and outside the home.

I did a trial run with Vue last month to compare with Sling and noticed a better video quality and more responsive interface. What I really appreciated, and wish Sling would follow, is the ability to have profiles... but Vue didn't have any kind of parental control. Nothing is perfect and Vue is certainly not an option for a lot of people. Definitely not worth paying $55 for Velocity. :o

I will add to my post concerning the AirTV. It appears they are going to add DVR capability later this year. They are currently testing DVR capability on the AirTV predecessor, the AirTV Player, which after testing will be added to the AirTV.
- Gary

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

DavidinCT wrote:The first question on a Website for streaming apps. How can they be navigated ?
Unfortunately, the website requires a mouse if accessed via a web browser on a PC. You must click the "Guide" button on the screen (no keyboard shortcut, but you can bookmark the link) and the menu/guide has no "highlight" or "outline box" to navigate the listings with the kb arrow keys (at least not with "DirecTV-NOW" or "Philo"). You must scroll with the mouse wheel and select programs by clicking on them. :(

I have a nice small "mini keyboard" remote with touchpad, but trying to use it as a mouse is a serious PIA. :(

SciFiGeek

Post by SciFiGeek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:39 pm

DRM ftom what I read is the reason to WMC. Streaming kind of kills that requirement.

That being said there is a major development since last post on this thread, Silicondust Premium steeaming. Looks like with the help of EPG123 and Schedules direct subscription, you can in fact record this stream in media center.

Although looking elsewhere, if you do not genuinely need a central live streeamong hub but to timeshift/DVR, checkout Playon Desktop as an auxiliary. You can record your streams (only one at a time) for later viewing.

Some have no issues with Playon on WMC, it futzes with my recording ability so I have to isolate it and haven't used it as much. And your mileage may vary. It can be hassle.

I am considering the math on on SD Premium for my core with Plex and putting my mother on Philo (same house). We could then share services as I think I'd be short BBC America. Locals with DVR may be a problem for her less than savy ability. Crossing fingers for Roku's promised interface "enhancement".

My catch22 is that I don't have a quattro... just 2 SD tuners and 4 tuner Hauppage. The good news I can keep my OTA off the premium device if I go down this path and buy a quattro.

Those are my thoughts, granted no silver bullets but I would be excited over more ideas too.