Upgraded to Version 1.2.1

atsersion

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgraded to Version 1.2.1

Post by atsersion » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:18 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to upgrade to the new version, but every time I click on clean start the big blue doughnut starts spinning and spinning and I get no further. I have read the installation PDF and watched the video numerous times thinking I'm missing something. But I can't seem to get past step 1 (clean start). During the installation video I watched the whole process takes less than 12 minutes but I'm working on 6 hours and still nothing. I have been using Windows Media Center for the last 5 years and EPG123 flawlessly for the past 1 1/2 years but now I don't know what to do. The last thing I want to do is have to go back to renting a DVR from the cable company. I would appreciate it if someone could assist me in resolving this issue. Thank you.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:54 am

Step 1 - Clean Start does the following...

1) Forces a database update (mcupdate.exe -u -manual -nogc)
2) Copies the current backup files from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mcepgX-Y\backup\ in folders lineup,recordings, and subscriptions. Zips them up and places them in the c:\epg123\backup folder.
3) Stops all services using the database and deletes all contents of the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome folder.
4) Deletes current Colossus HDPVR xml files if you have it.
5) Deletes some WMC guide registry keys and resets database counter.
6) Opens an instance of WMC and immediately minimizes the window and hides it.
7) Runs another database update in order to be able to increase the tuner limit counts in the next step (mcupdate.exe -u -manual -nogc).

Do you have an idea of where in the process it is just hanging there? I don't have any timeouts for any of the above.

I have noticed on the previous version that it can get confused when opening/minimizing/hiding WMC. I've never seen it actually hang, but I have seen it appear to hang but actually just sitting there waiting on the user to click Step 2.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

atsersion

Post by atsersion » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, sorry it took me so long to write you back. I finally did get things working, it was like you said, it was waiting for an input from me. I tried to click the step 2 button but nothing would happen, I had to physically start the EPG123 configuration program and follow the prompt there. But for some reason, once Media Center starts and I would have to set up the live TV again the part of the process where the program is downloading the tv setup information takes on an average of 4-5 hours. I haven't figured out why that happens, anyway I just walk away and come back later and it has identified my Ceton Tuner Card and I continue with the install. I don't know if you know what is causing that problem. Thanks again and I really do appreciate your hard work and great program.

Arron

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Step 2 should have started with a prompt asking if you wanted to increase the tuner limits. After your response, it should have made WMC visible and you could then perform TV Setup.

The 'Downloading TV Setup Data' stage can have some problems some times... it's trying to get new/current information from the MS servers about your regional broadcast and cable formats, as well as I believe the regional providers list. If you are desperate to get past that part, I have found that prior to denying the guide terms of service you can disconnect your network cable and it will quickly go through that part with a warning about having to run TV Setup again later. You can then plug your network cable back in and proceed with the setup.

The 'Examining TV Signals' stage can take some time as well, but I just typically cancel it and manually configure the TV signals and tuners.

The above will reduce your 4-5 hours to less than a minute.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io